Discuss Had an electrician around to do an EICR but was given a quote for work instead. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the NICEIC find fault with th guy or he is not listed I think they have a wall of shame for unregistered pretenders using their logo for promotion of work.

It woul be interesting to see if the EICR is on a red, purple or green cert.

From what the OP has written he hasn't provided an EICR or even a VCR!

As everyone else has stated this cowboy is creating work for himself at your expense. Looks like you'll need a second EICR done, this time by somebody not wearing stetsons

cant see the problem myself - seems pretty standard
fail the installation - charge to put right
then do eicr and fail on other areas - charge to put right
follow up with eic and charge final bill.

pretty sure this is all covered in the competent persons scheme Electrical Trainee training course day 2.

Well I turned down the work the guy was asking to do and asked if he did the EICR and for him to give it to me and he answered thus;

WE ARE NIC EIC REGISTERED ELECTRICIANS

YOU'VE CALLED US AND I GAVE YOU 5x NOTES FOR AMENDMENT WORK AS PROMISED AND AS SPOKEN TO YOU

I HAVE SAVED YOU £1,000 BY NOT DELIVERING 5x NIC EIC CERTIFICATES FOR FAIL

NOW SAID THAT, I LIVE IN (deleted for privacy) SPENT MY TIME AND DIESEL AND ACCORDING TO OUR WEBSITE -CAPITAL ELECTRICAL-
WE CHARGE £65 TO A MINIMUM CALL OUT CHARGE
I SAID TO YOU I WON'T CHARGE FOR I BELIEVED YOU WERE GOING TO GIVE ME THE JOB
PLEASE I HAVE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOU INSTALLATION IS NOT COMPLYING WITH NIC EIC BS7671:2008 AND THEREFORE YOU ARE ILLEGALLY RENTING YOUR PLACE
MY ADVISE AS A GOOD FRIEND IS THAT YOU TAKE ANY ELECTRICIAN YOU WISH BUT HAVE YOUR INSTALLATION UPGRADED AS PER BS7671:2008 SO YOUR PLACE WILL COMPLY WITH THE LAW

GOD BLESS YOU SIR AND GOOD LUCK

I NEED THAT CHEQUE ASAP IN THE POST OFFICE FROM YOU

If that is exactly what he said to you he deffo not from this country. So prob got no qualifications to speak of and not even a NIC member. Sack him off and get a proper qualified English spark!!!!

What a nice guy! He saved you £1,000 BY NOT DELIVERING 5x NIC EIC CERTIFICATES FOR FAIL £200 for a fail cert??? cough cough how much are the passes?? can he provide them for a price?? are they worth more than GOLD?
And right at the end just before he robs you blind of your hard earned he say "GOD BLESS YOU". Now if only every theiving robbing mother f&^%$er was soooo nice. I would give them my wages!!!!!!!

Sorry lowest form of wit i know

IMO you employed this electrician to carry out a PIR of your premises and you should of been furnished with a EICR detailing any faults that were present and suitably advising you in plain english how to make the premises safe for further use.

From the information that you have furnished its looks like this person has only had a quick walk around and Not done any testing so he is unable to supply any documentation that will be worth the paper its written on.

I note what has been said by previous posters re contacting the NIC and complaining so thats down to you but it seems he is useing their name as a sort of reference!

As far as the call out charge is concerned IMO you did not call this guy out you employed him to carry out a service which he has failed to do!

I appreciate that we are only seeing one side of the dispute and the electrician will no doubt have a different input etc.

Let us know how you get on!

Well I turned down the work the guy was asking to do and asked if he did the EICR and for him to give it to me and he answered thus;

YOU'VE CALLED US AND I GAVE YOU 5x NOTES FOR AMENDMENT WORK AS PROMISED AND AS SPOKEN TO YOU

NOW SAID THAT, I LIVE IN (deleted for privacy) SPENT MY TIME AND DIESEL AND ACCORDING TO OUR WEBSITE -CAPITAL ELECTRICAL-
PLEASE I HAVE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOU INSTALLATION IS NOT COMPLYING WITH NIC EIC BS7671:2008 AND THEREFORE YOU ARE ILLEGALLY RENTING YOUR PLACE
MY ADVISE AS A GOOD FRIEND IS THAT YOU TAKE ANY ELECTRICIAN YOU WISH BUT HAVE YOUR INSTALLATION UPGRADED AS PER BS7671:2008 SO YOUR PLACE WILL COMPLY WITH THE LAW

It reminds me of those 419 scam emails ;)

I will have to remember this. I am currently writing to all previous clients in houses that I wired in red/black prior to 2005 to tell them that they have to have a complete rewire. 2013 looking busy then!

I will have to remember this. I am currently writing to all previous clients in houses that I wired in red/black prior to 2005 to tell them that they have to have a complete rewire. 2013 looking busy then!

And don't forget to note that all switched lives need sleeving too!

No, I didn't pay him for anything and he did not, and has not, offered to give me an EICR even though that is what I called him out for. He did go around the building checking the consumer units sockets and wiring and took notes as I would have expected him to do but he just emailed me the quotes for work stating things he saw as, "illegal" or not up to 2008 regs as you see in copies I put up. The first quote I put up actually concerns three identical flats that have been wired in exactly the same manner and he wanted to charge £471.33 for each of them totaling £2067.30 together with the work done on the last quote. Thanks again for replying to this.

It never ceases to amaze me how people use Illegal when referring to a document that is not a statutory instrument. But then again illegal has more gravitas than Non Compliant

The OP invited an electrician to do an EICR - so at the very least, on receipt of the EICR and invoice the OP is obliged to pay him - if he doesn't pay the OP could end up in court.

Are we sure he is a properly qualified electrician

And I always thought the IET where responsible for producing BS 7671 not the NICEIC

I would like to think a good friend wouldn't rip you off like this

And don't forget to note that all switched lives need sleeving too!

Wot even if they are right colour!!!

Legally this is pretty clear cut- he has failed to deliver what was contractually agreed - in that sense it's a clear case of tell him to go shove it, but the bigger shame is yet again all us hard working and decent types are made to look like a bunch of rob dogs simply because of yet another rotten apple.

There are a few reasons why the Landlords area might not require an RCD - but we'll only know if one of us goes in to do an EICR!

Reply to Had an electrician around to do an EICR but was given a quote for work instead. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net