Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss EICR Change of occupancy in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

@i=p/u Off the cuff remark, I have not read the article or the whole thread, Don't think its so much the new tenant coming in, rather what the old tenant may have done to the installation that the landlord is responsible for, without a new EICR to check nothing untoward had been done.

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

snowhead

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
why wouldn't ya want spark to check over if new tenants coming in.

If that's neccessary at change of tennancy then so is a Gas Safety check, general plumbing check, full structural survey of the building, including gardens, paths, driveways.
Analysis of potential bacteria in the carpet and plenty more things that MAY be hazardous or a danger to a new tennant.

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
What is the law, it says in most books, every installation shall be maintained to not give rise to danger. Only way todo this or do everything reasonably practical is by having it tested.

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Gas checks for rentals are every 12 months, presumably because gas appliances can deteriorate relatively quickly and the risk posed is considered too great. Electrical systems generally do not deteriorate that quickly. Correctly installed and un-molested, they will last for decades (perhaps with the exception of some outdoor equipment), and often fail safe.

It is possible for tenants to meddle with the electrics, but generally tenancy agreements prohibit this, and anyway it would become apparent with the periodic inspections that landlords make during the tenancy.

I presume anyone here advocating EICRs on change of tenancy are home owners, yes? And so you are not subject to the already ridiculously high costs of being too poor to own your home. The cost of all these checks ultimately filters down to the renter. The dangers posed by increasing these costs (ie homelessness) far out weigh the miniscule increase in safety by having EICRs at the end of each tenancy.

Reply to EICR Change of occupancy in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net