Discuss Eicr None Labelled Consumer Unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TJC1

-
Reaction score
How much do most people allow per circuit for an EICR. Normally houses and small offices.

Also where do you stand on labelled consumer units. Went to an office the other day, had about 7 ring mains, 10 lighting circuits, radials.

NONE Labelled.

How long do you spend trying to find which circuit does what, can certainly eat in to your testing time!

I would put a non labelled CU as a C3 or no code depending on just how bad it was.

I would spend quite a while determining the circuit of each protective device as you need to be able to test your R1+R2 and ZS. If I really couldn't determine what it was doing I may leave it switched off so that the home owner could tell me over the next few weeks (usually only takes a couple if days!) what, if anything, is not working. I would still have IR tested it.

I would also C3 an unlabelled CU. I would spend a fair amount of time trying to find any unidentified circuit but if i was getting anywhere then i would just write it down in the limitations and write it down as an unknown circuit.

It takes as long as it takes to id the circuits. just tell the customer before starting that you cant start testing until you've worked out what is on what circuit and that it will cost so much per hour. As long as you agree before hand there's no problem.

For me it needs further investigation and that is charged extra, but they won't get a satisfactory report without them being traced and tested, some may argue that an unidentified circuit could warrant a c2 as you don't know if it's potentially dangerous because you don't know what it is.

For me I just crack on with it and get them traced. This is because my general EICR work is in small houses with no more than 10 circuits generally. This usually takes no more than half an hour to trace them all. This easily fits in with the time I allow and the price I charge.

On a larger job I would certainly quote for extra time, especially if there were operational limitations placed on isolation of the circuits.

Doesn't bother me if it labelled or not generally circuits can be traced through a process of elimination. Lighting is obvious if you have it all on. Discuss a time for the shutting down of the power, this maybe something you need to do prior to any testing maybe early morning. They will want to know how long this will take, ask which are the most power sensitive areas such as comms rooms which may require third party shut down and tell them these will be powered back up first. Turn all power off and check all power points are off in case there are rogue circuits. Confirm the circuits which need prior attention by simply switching the breakers back on, two people is best for this type of task. Never forget if the board is labelled it could be totally wrong. So you can Code 3 the fact there is no labelling or get a pen and do it yourself, that only seems a small site so I can't see any problems tracing them.

Reply to Eicr None Labelled Consumer Unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net