Discuss EICR - Unsatisfactory - No RCD - C2 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm being ultra-pedantic now, just to get a point across!
If it was a first floor flat, and there were no sockets available for use outdoors, it could well perfectly comply with the 16th edition. I could decide to follow BPG4 to the letter. If I did there's a good chance it would end up with lots of C3's and no C2's. (Note that it says there is supplementary bonding present in the bathroom).

This doesn't change my view that the right thing to do is clearly to change the board, it's common sense.
(In car terms, I could get a Morris Marina (other cars are available) through an MOT and it be declared safe to drive on the road. I wouldn't want my daughter to learn to drive in something without ABS and airbags though. )
Marinas and morris minor had a tendency for the bottom ball joint to fall out, this especially happened more frequently with the arrival of the sleeping policemen.
Just saying :)

Last edited:
I can't enlarge the image on this device, but there's something raised from the trunking at the cable entry. Possibly a dust covered bush or grommet.
Actually... i was looking at it on a tiny phone screen, sitting in my van in the dark, waiting for a bus with.... and to me, looked like the top surface of trunking, a bit rusty... and the tails just resting on maybe a bit of T&E sheath being used as grommit strip.

Now seen it on laptop screen.... its fine.

Took some better photos of the board. Also found out that CMU in this case means ConsuMer Unit, odd way to abbreviate it.

The cost of the dual stack board and components was said to be around £250. The flat is in London, E1.

1660682944335.png1660682954205.png1660682961862.png

Well that is going to be a little more work than your average domestic CU replacement.
The chances of getting a new CU to fit the exact gap between the steel trunking and the (presumably steel) conduit beneath are pretty slim.

It would be interesting to see inside that CU and know what type of cable is in there.

Only skimmed through this thread, but this appears to be a property with little chance of equipment being used outdoors, was installed with full compliance to the regs at the time, and has not deteriorated to a dangerous extent since.
On that basis, the C2s should be C3s, and the installation is 'satisfactory'.
This is a case of a Morris Marina, fully roadworthy, and with a current MOT (actually, doesn't actually need one, IIRC). Perfectly legal to drive, but potentially dangerous nevertheless.
Anyone considering using it as daily transport would be well advised to find something a bit more compliant with current standards, just as the owner of this property should be, with regard to RCDs.
In short, the property is 'satisfactory' as far as the EICR is concerned, but the EICR should be accompanied by a note stating that it is actually unsatisfactory and strong consideration should be given to the recommended upgrade.

I agree with you on this one, however I might C2 for ground floor apartment if it was easy to use 230V equip outside and the flat had frequent change of occupancy as opposed to long term tenant.
The main issue are these these cheap EICRs only to add remedials to make it economically viable.
There is plenty room for an external RCD if needed.

BTW..(...NOT directed at the electrician)....OBSERVATIONS Section K ..... Never seen "limitations" as an observation code, If I had made that up my assessor would have said it was not part of the BS7671 model form or marked me down as non compliant😛
......maybe we should all self-regulate and bypass most of this admin nonsense.

Last edited:
EICR's being undertaken as a means to generate remedial work, that is what we are seeing so often. Oh how we debate the right or wrong of a coding completly overlooking this is not enginerring judgment its a sales pitch.
NO EICR should be tainted with this language of 'work needed notice me I can do it' within the report or from the mouth of 'the inspector'.

I see so many nonsense codings stinking of this stench. Want an EICR look to someone who is not in and out in an hour and is not looking to sell upgrades cheapy cheapy to you special price

Reminds me of the garages that use every and any electrical issue on a vehicle to sell a new battery.

To be fair, for £80 in London i think that's a pretty decent EICR and his recommendations are right - the install is a fail.

There's a worrying trend on here of customers automatically assuming their spark is trying to rip them off when a fail comes their way.
As above....to test 9 circuits for that money in that time is a bad sign of how the whole EICR thing is a mess

An electrical installation installed in accordance with an earlier edition of the wiring regs may not comply with the current requirements.
This does not warrant by default an unsatisfactory finding OR that it requires upgrading. Yet because it is so easy to quote a regulation number from the 18th : 2022 and say 'look your installation does not comply, the big book says this...' now lets talk about putting that right £££££££.

Nonsense and a scam by any other name.

Reply to EICR - Unsatisfactory - No RCD - C2 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net