Discuss ELECSA assessment. Domestic+Periodic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

robsparx

Hi, I am looking to register with ELECSA as a domestic installer soon, as I'm out of a job, and a few people want to send some private work my way. The domestic assessment sounds straight foward. Am i ok to complete a job eg. a rewire, then get it assessed and sign it off once my registration is complete?

And I am booked in to do my 2391 at the end of May. The ELECSA website states "It is agreed and generally accepted that an above average knowledge of electrical installations is required to carry out Periodic Inspections, usually gained through years of experience on top of formal qualifications (eg. C&G 2391)"

Well I have only recently come through my apprenticeship so would they see me as having enough experience to be carrying out periodics? I have had experience assisting with periodics on domestic properties, and hotels and schools whilst an apprentice, and then carrying out the remedials, so I feel i should know enough about what to look for in domestic properties

Sorry if thats a bit long winded :eek:

As long as you are confident you will pass then you can notify after you have been assessed. Thats what i did.

As for periodics, i just do them anyway and use their paperwork. Only thing is i cant register them, but then im not bothered about that anyway.

If you are being assessed for PIR's, if you have no real experience as such, then you may come unstuck on certain things. Testing is only part of a PIR, its the rest that can catch you out.

Good luck!

As for periodics, i just do them anyway and use their paperwork. Only thing is i cant register them, but then im not bothered about that anyway.

Hi Jason

This is really interesting for me as I was just about to complete the application tonight fo periodics! May I ask why you are not bothered about registering them because I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

Cheers, Ron

Ok cool, should be ok then.

yeh thats interesting. so you dont have any legal obligation to register results of a periodic? Why would you pay 300 quid to register them if you dont need to?

When i spoke to them about registering, they said thats its only worth it if you do a lot of them, which i dont, as its not the main part of my business.

There is no requirement under bs7671 or any document, to register them.

Jason is quite right there is no requirement to register periodics
I am a member of Elecsa
Join them to get your part P for installation certification

Periodics with them costs and is only there to register the periodic on their records
Its not worth the money and as Jason said its not a BS7671 requirement

Ray

Yeah very Interesting.. So how does your PIR stand legally?
As your not registered would it not count for anything? in a court for example..
If your registered for domestic work what certs do you use to do your occasional PIR's?
Do elecsa give you PIR pads if you ask for them even if your not registered to do so with them?

Im confused

PIR along with all other relevent BS forms are available from the IET website. there is no legal requirement to use any others.

PIR along with all other relevent BS forms are available from the IET website. there is no legal requirement to use any others.

So just download and print out a PIR form from the IET website, complete a periodic and hand it straight to the customer..?

And this is a genuine as any other periodic from anyone else ?

In a court you would have to prove you were competent. i.e held relevant qualifications or experience.

In regard to registration remember everybody wants to take your money!

So just download and print out a PIR form from the IET website, complete a periodic and hand it straight to the customer..?

And this is a genuine as any other periodic from anyone else ?

It is the form that all others are based on. I'll find the link

Here:

Forms for electrical contractors - The IET

Last edited by a moderator:
The important thing to remember about PIR`s is NOT can you carry them out ? - but will you be covered by insurance in the event of a claim? I think that you will find that a minimum of 5 years relevent experience of INSTALLATION work and electrical installation qualifications will be required by an insurance underwriter AND proof of competence that would stand up in court i.e. C&G 2391 (not the NICEIC mickey mouse version) - the theory ( which I fully spoort) being that you need experience of installation work within a particular sector to enable you to know what to look for. PIR`s are largely a black art and the standard testing procedure is only a small part of what is really required.

I attended the ELEX 2008 at Coventry last September. I spoke for quite a while to the ELECSA guy and I was quite shocked by his cavalier attitude towards PIR`s - he did his best to dissuade me from carrying them out as this would effectively increase my yearly fee`s. As regards to his attitude to who could carry them out - well no mention WHATSOEVER was made of Professional Indemnity Insurance!

Worrying to say the least.:eek:

I feel that some people may be being led down the garden path by their scheme providers............

On Ebay there is a CD that is sold that has all PIR paper and all other certs that can be printed out by computer. It has all NICEIC and NAPIT certs but with there logos and names off them making them ok to use plus they cost nothing to print out ur self.I am looking to register with ELECSA as they seem to look after us (electricians) when NICEIC seem to just want money after money coz there so highly reconized!!seems to cost a bunch of money when im currently un-employed but needing to register for work.seems us electricians get over-charged on courses and registering its pants.

Hi, I am looking to register with ELECSA as a domestic installer soon, as I'm out of a job, and a few people want to send some private work my way. The domestic assessment sounds straight foward. Am i ok to complete a job eg. a rewire, then get it assessed and sign it off once my registration is complete?

And I am booked in to do my 2391 at the end of May. The ELECSA website states "It is agreed and generally accepted that an above average knowledge of electrical installations is required to carry out Periodic Inspections, usually gained through years of experience on top of formal qualifications (eg. C&G 2391)"

Well I have only recently come through my apprenticeship so would they see me as having enough experience to be carrying out periodics? I have had experience assisting with periodics on domestic properties, and hotels and schools whilst an apprentice, and then carrying out the remedials, so I feel i should know enough about what to look for in domestic properties

Sorry if thats a bit long winded :eek:

Hey robsparx,

I to will be doing the Elecsa assessment in the next few months also...

This is my understanding of their "Guide to the Part P registration" document, you just need to be able to:

"demonstrate a full grasp of Inspection and Testing relevant to the type of installation work that you are carrying out. You must be able to demonstrate that you are fully capable of inspecting and testing the installations you undertake and complete"

That to me says that you do not need any formal Ins. & Test qualifications to pass their assessment... just to show competence...

Yes, but only 'inspecting and testing the installations you undertake and complete'.

This is different from requirements to be able to carry out PIR's.

To join elecsa you will need some kind of regulations cert i think.
Idealy 17th regs level 3 cert 2382, if not 16th regs and need to upgrade to the 17th regs within your fist 12 mths of joining..

I think this a minimum needed by any of the scheme providers..

To join elecsa you will need some kind of regulations cert i think.
Idealy 17th regs level 3 cert 2382, if not 16th regs and need to upgrade to the 17th regs within your fist 12 mths of joining..

I think this a minimum needed by any of the scheme providers..
Am talking about test and inspect quals - 2391 and 2392.

at the end of the day if you are competent in inspection and testing and can actualy do the job you should walk it as all the assessers know who can and who cant do the job within the first 5 minutes

Hiya guys, Am I right in thinking that anyone who thinks they are competent and just do a PIR and hand a copy to the customer would be ok ???????

I have just completed my 3291 and am now in the position where everyone wants me to do some work for them ( with a cost of course ) but am still getting to grips with the mind field of all the regs thats involved, Can anyone advise????

What certs can I use and where can I get them from?

Seems like everyone just want to get there hands on your money to register with competent scemes and to register certs etc; etc..............

First things first - get your Professional Indemnity insurance in place.

As for which certs to use, if your not attached to one of the Part P scheming bodies, download the BS7671 PIR sheets using the link provided above

(i assume you do mean 2391)

Reply to ELECSA assessment. Domestic+Periodic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock