Discuss Electric Flow Boiler - Tripping consumer unit in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all,

I've just joined the forum after coming up short with answers on my internet search for potential solutions to my electric boiler problems. Complete electrical novice here & would have any suggestions for solutions completed by an electrician. For context, I live in an apartment block with electric only supply & have an electric 'column' boiler installed.

Reason for posting
The boiler trips out it's consumer unit after c. 25 minutes of being on. The consumer unit can then be tripped (?) back on, and the process repeats. There is still full function of radiators and the property will heat when the boiler in on.

I believe the issue initially stems from when I replaced the batteries of the timer/thermostat. I had to take the thermostat off the wall to remove battery corrosion and from then on even with new batteries the device wouldn't work - possibly knocked a wire, unsure. As such, I had a Nest Thermostat installed which has not solved the problem. The Nest will work whilst the boiler is tripped on, but will turn off due to lack of power supply when the boiler trips the consumer unit.

I'm here to try and understand the issue, as the best solution so far has been a new boiler - obviously would prefer to avoid that.

Boiler is an Electroheat Plc C-1200 - I believe these are pretty old units?

Apologies for the wordy thread, but hopefully this gives a good idea of the issue. Any advise would be genuinely appreciated.

Ross.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a number of possible causes.

Probably best to bite the bullet and get someone out to diagnose and repair.

Hi Ross - can you advise what trips and you reset? Picture please :)

Are there any changes to status lamps on the boiler before it trips? Is it calling for heat the whole time and trips after 25 mins for example. If you reset it straight away will it run for another 25 mins, or trip soon after resetting?

Keep in mind a plumbing problem may cause tripping too. For example if there was sludge in the pipework that reduced the flow rate I think it might cause issues. By the way, is the boiler used for central heating only or also hot water?

https://www.uk-plumbing.com/brochure/heatrae/Amptec_install.pdf

Thanks for the replies all, and for editing the font size.. Hope you all found your magnifying glasses!

Appreciate the comments, I'll post pictures/additional info when back home this evening.

Ross.

IMG_2399.PNG IMG_4721.JPG IMG_9031.JPG IMG_9849.JPG

Morning All,

Apologies for the radio silence, heating has been a bit off my radar over the past week.

If anyone is still interested...

I ran the boiler after getting home from work yesterday & set my phone up to film the display.

It remained on 'call' & 'heat' for around 50 minutes (maybe my initial 25 minute was off!). There are moments where only supply is lit - but only momentarily. Just before it trips the system 'heat' stops and then it trips.

Pictures attached show the current set-up, the unit which trips, the boiler display when turned on & model details.

Thanks,
Ross.

Thanks Wilko. I've actually got a spare PCB Element left by the previous owners.

Out of interest; is there a sure fire way to know if it's a 'good' element? By that I mean, it isn't one they've previously replaced and just left?

Appreciate that's probably an open ended question to an extent.

Anyway, if there is a way to tell, I'll get a heating engineer out to look at replacing & see if that does the trick.

Ross.

Reply to Electric Flow Boiler - Tripping consumer unit in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net