Currently reading:
Electricain. Good Trade? Money? and setting up?

Discuss Electricain. Good Trade? Money? and setting up? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok soinds like some people need informing on the situation with the new qualifications.

After this year 2010/11 2330 is being replaced. There will no longer be a 2330. Summitskills have decided in all their wisdom that you need a job before applying for the course at college. Instead of the 10 units as it stands with the 2330, the new qualification theyre peddling is 15 units.

City & Guilds | Qualification | Coming soon: Diploma in Electrotechnology (Working title)

I think theyre trying to get rid of these 5 days courses as well but i cant seem to find the article again

i did my first year at college getting these quals 2251 Level – 1 City & Guilds (Performing Engineering Operations P.E.O)
(Electrical & Electronics Units) NVQ 1.
2800 Level – 1 World of Engineering (Technical Certification for both units).
Electrical: Credit
Electronics: Distinction
Online GOLA: Credit
i got an apprneticeship doing CGLI's in air con and fridge **** hit the fan got made redundent now doing my level 2 following up with out the electronics going in for my level 3 testing and inspecting does that mean i have go do my 17th edition because it's all 17th edition what im learning any help im well confused?

is it even worth carrying on if it's as dry as people making out?

well Mike it is really up to you , my self, i wish i had never heard of being a ELECTRICIAN!! 5 yrs of s--t money and you STILL get s--t money, a spark has to do this qualification and that qualification and what REWARDS are there, sweet F.A !!! my cousin worked for the council digging up roads etc for 39 yrs (a bit like Triggers broom!!!) got his self a nice pension, didn,t need the tickets like we are meant to have, become a joiner/shopfitter bang a few nails in here and there and you will make a lot more money than a spark OR live out of a suitcase and just bum it around that is the only way to make REAL MONEY(there will be sparks who will read this and disagree but to get what a shop-fitter gets you have to do a lot of hours) best of luck in your chosen career (or other)

i've heard about shop fitting and how good money it is there was a guy i was talking to and he was looking for a sparks mate for shop fitting just it was stupid hours and weird shift patterns all over the country so didn't take up on the offer cos he sd i wouldnt go college, my tutor always bangs on theres loads of work and money but then i think well why are you a tutor then? what actually is a good trade if any? what is the money like in the NW?

cherry picking in the orchards? i cant just strole into a farm there usually faimily buisness's aint they?, i'm trying get a apprenticeship in CAD of illustraighter or something but there seems to be nothing for the untrained ATM

Um, no it's a link - you click on the writing and it takes you to a video about getting rich quick from farming.
It's meant to be tongue in cheek, as in the guy makes it sound like money for old rope, when in reality farming is a lot of hard work.

Seriously though have you thought about doing what you want to do, like something you have an interest in?
Having a passion for something makes it easier to go the extra mile and reach the top of the game, which is where the money is.

...And I wouldn't exactly call being an electrician a job "for the untrained".

Um, no it's a link - you click on the writing and it takes you to a video about getting rich quick from farming.
It's meant to be tongue in cheek, as in the guy makes it sound like money for old rope, when in reality farming is a lot of hard work.

Seriously though have you thought about doing what you want to do, like something you have an interest in?
Having a passion for something makes it easier to go the extra mile and reach the top of the game, which is where the money is.

...And I wouldn't exactly call being an electrician a job "for the untrained".
ill have a look at the link, i thought of electronics because of technology moving forward i thought it was a good move and the other half of the course was electrical so doing it i was talking to alot of apprentice sparks and they said it was good money but doing my first year trying get an apprenticeship didn't work out because nobody was offering anything for the untrained i mean by that rather than the hassel of a 17 year old being a liability and not really doing anything useful nobody was even interested because it takes time for an apprentice when we both know time is money, so im ****ed really i dont know what to train in i cant get any experience so even when i qualify job chances are slim and im 19 in a year so not got much motivation for retraining tbh. i had a apprenticeship in air con and refrigeration and got made redundent thats why im doing my level 2 again lukily i have 6 weeks to learn everything for my final exams.

Well when I was 19 I worked in a pub before minimum wage was introduced, and left with pretty much the same job prospects as when I started.
I started college when I was 25, which is too old for an employer to get any government subsidy and they're very unlikely to take on someone with no qualifications and little experience so had to pay for the courses myself and work through agencies.
Needless to say I wish I'd tried harder to get an apprenticeship when I was your age.

i was working in a pub but the managers left and i got finished when they left, the goverment dont give anything towards apprenticeships no more but i'm registered with a skills solutions which pay for my college when i was on my apprenticeship and still are now i was asking them get me a electrical apprenticeship but still waiting hear off them tbh.

do you really want to be a spark? like i mentioned before you will have to keep on getting (tickets) to say you are qualified, i still work on shops (living out of suitcase at 63!!) (100 hrs + a week) the joiners get more money AND they DO NOT HAVE TO KEEP GETTING THIS AND THAT EDITION!!!!

yeh i do but have doubts because no one will give me a chance everywer has the same excuse of not enough work or they've just got rid of people etc, i know because im on 17th edition now but dont know how long that will last good few years right? i herd joiners get buttons compared to sparks?

No there isn't much work out there. The domestic market is jam packed full of people who have found there isn't "money in computers" anymore and were suckered in by the "There's loadsa money in trades now" training companies who sell you a load of certificates which don't mean anything.

At worst you're looking at jumping on the bandwagon late.
At best you still have time to look for the next 'Get rich quick' scheme.
Spot on fella

Reply to Electricain. Good Trade? Money? and setting up? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock