Discuss Electrical safety certificate and downlights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

for £50/light i'd fit integrated JCC V50 's . selectable colour temp and IP rated for bathroom zone 1 and 2.

Yes. £50+vat per light
He's having a laugh. Thats £1300 for something that doesn't need doing.

You haven't said what "certificate" you have asked for.

If it is an EICR (note that the R stands for REPORT, not CERTIFICATE)
An EICR only reports on the installation and where there are deviations from BS7671 (The Wiring Regulations).
So, as above, if he states a non-compliance, then he must state the BS7671 regulation that it contravenes. And there isn't one.

It could be that the existing downlight has thermal damage from excessive heat from the halogen lamps. What sort of lamps have you got fitted at present?

He's having a laugh. Thats £1300 for something that doesn't need doing.

You haven't said what "certificate" you have asked for.

If it is an EICR (note that the R stands for REPORT, not CERTIFICATE)
An EICR only reports on the installation and where there are deviations from BS7671 (The Wiring Regulations).
So, as above, if he states a non-compliance, then he must state the BS7671 regulation that it contravenes. And there isn't one.
That's a good question. The managing agent organised it but I believe its a "report". I have emailed them for the details of the regulation they are concerned about.

It could be that the existing downlight has thermal damage from excessive heat from the halogen lamps. What sort of lamps have you got fitted at present?
That's a very valid point, they are standard halogen bulbs. That isn't what they said in the initial email though. I will get more clarification.

That's a very valid point, they are standard halogen bulbs. That isn't what they said in the initial email though. I will get more clarification.
If they are halogen then the heat produced is around 200 degrees C and could be a source of ignition if they are installed next to a joist or something combustible. Seen this so many times. reminds me when I was a Q.S. and the electrician drilled out part of a joist to get this halogen downlight in "well it's fire rated isn't it".

I completely agree and the electrician has been in to do it. My point is should I need to replace all these lights to get a pass when I have never had a problem before.
What did the Electrician say on the EICR, did the EICR prove to be a Satisfactory Report? If the Electrician has noted any dicrepencies then as you are the LandLord it's down to you to get them put right
file:///C:/Users/Pete/Desktop/Resources/BestPracticeGuide4-Issue3%20EICR.pdf

Last edited:
What did the Electrician say on the EICR, did the EICR prove to be a Satisfactory Report?

The electrician said he needs to replace all of them before he can issue the certificate so I have no code at this point.

Looks like the electrician or agency the OP has gone through are trying a fast one.
OP: Please clarify. First it wasn't a report and now it is... What did you actually ask the agency for? an EICR?

Looks like the electrician or agency the OP has gone through are trying a fast one.
OP: Please clarify. First it wasn't a report and now it is... What did you actually ask the agency for? an EICR?
I didn't actually ask for anything. The agent prompted me that it had been 3 years since the last "which ever it is" and suggested organising it again so I am only guessing if its a report or a certificate. I didn't know there were two possibilities.

An EICR is a report on the state of the installation, at the time the report was done. Any repairs needed will need a separate certificate. Either a minor works or an EIC, referencing the EICR that the work corrected. He should issue the EICR then it's up to you if you want the work done, and who does that work

I didn't actually ask for anything. The agent prompted me that it had been 3 years since the last "which ever it is" and suggested organising it again so I am only guessing if its a report or a certificate. I didn't know there were two possibilities.
Get the EICR completed and take it from there Mate, read the Best practice guide I posted to you, you should also talk to your insurance company, to sassertainwhat, legally is required of you, as a LandLord, it does nobody any good walking about with their eyes shut, thingking they have done what is required of them. If you think you have already had an EICR done, let the Forum see a copy, shouldn't be to difficult to scan and post, doing this will enable the Forum to offer any advice that is relevant.

Reply to Electrical safety certificate and downlights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net