Discuss Electrical test on 3 phase control panel in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
i need some advise on writing out a electrical cert for a control panel,i have only tested distribution boards has anyone done certs for control panels?.
My query is the panel has overloads for motors,ive done my R1 R2 tests etc how do i record these on the schedule as there not circuit 1-12 and what is the BS number for overloads?.
many thanks for any advise

Overload devices on motors are not OCPDs if I'm viewing your query correctly.

my boss said he needed the test from the overload to the pumps which to me ok thats the installation test.
As for the control panel i agree that is not covered by BS7671 but i cannot work out what is expecting my to put on the certs, as our testing engineer has just retired i cannot ask him.
As far as i can see ive done my R1R2 tests etc and that is all i can do.

Is this a new panel that you have built yourself or are you the installer?

Or are you doing a PI on an existing installation?

Control panels do not come under BS7671, you'll need to be inspecting them at a minimum to EN60204-1.
Agree Rob, OP what testing are you carrying out, and is this an EICR for an existing installation, or an EIC for a new installation, are you conducting tests as per described by the BS7671 schedule of dead and live testing???

As i am now the QS for the company,i have never had to carry out these tests, give me a DB no problem but this is a different field which i am finding grey areas, to make it worse next week i have to do these tests infront of the sites electrical engineer to verify that the tests were carried out,as its my name on the cert i want to make sure everything is correct

my boss said he needed the test from the overload to the pumps which to me ok thats the installation test.
As for the control panel i agree that is not covered by BS7671 but i cannot work out what is expecting my to put on the certs, as our testing engineer has just retired i cannot ask him.
As far as i can see ive done my R1R2 tests etc and that is all i can do.
What no insulation, ZS Earth loop test, cpc continuity etc, just R1 R2?. Sounds to me you are getting a bum steer, and fodder for the Lions ie the engineer who will be judging you. OP sorry to ask, but do you hold any testing Quals or have testing experience?

Last edited:
BS 7671 stops at the point your panel connects to the incoming supply.
Everything else after that comes under the Machinery Directive.
If this is new then you will need to do the tests in accordance with S18 of EN60204-1 and recorded for the technical file.
This is a legal requirement and must be completed to prove that the equipment is suitable for placing on the market.
Your company should have procedures in place for this already.
You cannot use a BS7671 certificate it is not a valid means of recording this information because it is not a harmonised standard to the Machinery Directive.

I usually buy in fully compliant enclosures that come with all the certification along with all fully compliant devices..
I test it all out in the workshop; continuity, IR, and functionality.
This all then gets tested on site with all the wiring installed..

I usually buy in fully compliant enclosures that come with all the certification along with all fully compliant devices..
Charlie see Conversations

However,
However, that does not make the assembly legally compliant.
CE + CE does not = CE.
That is a fact.
There is a lot more to compiling a technical file to prove that the equipment is safe and compliant than just ensuring you buy compliant parts, which you must.
The testing required in 60204-1 is almost the same as 7671, but there are a few subtle differences that if not completed could easily pose a danger, and would be a non-compliance.
Then, if you are not building for machinery you are looking to the LVD, which is the 61439 series...

Many thanks,i thought i was right,ill put on my bosses toes.
I like i had a tech issue and your team came together to answer my questions.
Grey area re control panels,done my side dead and live test,so he will have to speak to NICEIC on how we sort this,have done alltests by BS7671 including ZS@DB as only one ZE,sounds like fun in work on weds,if im not happy no signature,so cannot iven do limitations on new install

In all the time I was with the NICEIC nobody there knew anything about EN 60204-1 their knowledge base lie in BS 7671 which is irrelevant and you cannot use it.
It is not a grey area what so ever, it is clear cut.
7671 to the isolator.
EN 60204-1 from there on.
Unless one of the other parts of 60204 apply to the equipment such as -32 for lifting equipment.
Don't get confused, it's a simple line.
Look at 110.2 xi in BS 7671.

I'll back Net up here, took the niceic to a machine panel install I built and fitted, he said quite honestly that it was out of his field, I replied that I suspected so but you are still happy to charge me the fees even though your out of your own depth, I ended up showing him the basic power supply install to which said the fuse overrated the cable... I even had to explain fixed current equipment and the fusing was overrated for the in rush of the motor and all in compliance of the BS7671 ... he left giving me a full unblemished rating... I left them shortly after.

Reply to Electrical test on 3 phase control panel in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock