Discuss Electrician moving to Scotland from R.Ireland in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm moving to Scotland from the Republic of Ireland, where i obtained my level 6 craft electrical qualification. I have been working in the industry fully qualified since 2012. I have been advised apply for the SJIB ECS card, to do this i need to enrol on the CEC program after completion of the following courses:
SELECT’S ECS Health & Safety Course,
Scottish Building Standards course,
IET Wiring Regulations to BS 7671.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advise or has any experience on the matter? I was unaware i would have to do all these courses until i started enquiring as my previous boss who is from the UK thought all i had to do was apply for the ECS card. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated, thanks Lauren

SELECT’S ECS Health & Safety Course,
Scottish Building Standards course,
IET Wiring Regulations to BS 7671.

ECS H&S, piece of nonsense, simple multi choice exam... take the most sensible answer. Learn the fire extinguisher colours.
Building standards - not needed.
BS7671.... Im sure your current quals will be just as good, but check with SJIB themselves rather than guessing.

The main differences will be that in Scotland, as apposed to England, there is no Part P notifications to worry about, so you don't have to be part of a scheme initially, although it will help.

ECS H&S, piece of nonsense, simple multi choice exam... take the most sensible answer. Learn the fire extinguisher colours.
Building standards - not needed.
BS7671.... Im sure your current quals will be just as good, but check with SJIB themselves rather than guessing.

The main differences will be that in Scotland, as apposed to England, there is no Part P notifications to worry about, so you don't have to be part of a scheme initially, although it will help.
Thank you, yes ill check with them as i would have covered the 17 edition wiring regs if i remember correctly, i just need to check with the accreditation bodies in Ireland to see what was on the silibus when i qualified. Can i ask why you say the Building standards - not needed?

The grass is always greener... for instance,you are "over the rainbow",but there is gold at one end...and sheeeite at the other...;):cool:

....It's just a question of placement...:)

well i aready have a hairy scott so thats one of the reasons and yes Ireland is beautiful but so is Scotland. thanks for your input doe
Hi Lauren, a bit of tongue in cheek regarding my comments.
Good luck with your move. I agree Scotland has some amazing scenery too, it's just those hairy Scott's.

Thank you, yes ill check with them as i would have covered the 17 edition wiring regs if i remember correctly, i just need to check with the accreditation bodies in Ireland to see what was on the silibus when i qualified. Can i ask why you say the Building standards - not needed?
The south of Ireland uses the 4th Edition of the ETCI National Rules for Electrical Installations.

Hi Lauren,
In a the exact position as yourself a couple of years ago, would love to know how you went about it? Not keen on CEC scheme as just completed 5 year apprenticeship in Ireland.

Reply to Electrician moving to Scotland from R.Ireland in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock