Currently reading:
Electricians should know there basic maths.....DO YOU!!!!

Discuss Electricians should know there basic maths.....DO YOU!!!! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Who has just said she couldn't believe who many wrong answers there were!

Your answers were some of the more exotic out there... the norm is either 20 or 320... well i hope i have given a valuable lesson in maths today and you know what they say 'Everydays a school day' .... now stick a thanks on my post for showing you your daughter is better at basic maths than you :iamwithstupid:
lol

My calculator worked this out so does this mean I'm still an electrician? Dark wood calculate this easy equation and give me the answer (6^x+6^-x)/6 until then I will resume the role as most powerful electrician.

It's 20.

Brackets, indices, division, multiplication, addition, subtraction.

Edit: Just read through whole thread and the answer's already been blimmin' revealed! Now I don't feel so clever :(

My calculator worked this out so does this mean I'm still an electrician? Dark wood calculate this easy equation and give me the answer (6^x+6^-x)/6 until then I will resume the role as most powerful electrician.
I get 12 if ive read the sum correctly i assume ^ denotes squared
i get zero if the x value is the multiplier to be used on 6

God knows I just made it up lol

You set 6^x where x isn't a multiply sign but a unknown value but regardless of what it is the sum within the brackets will cancel itself out leaving 0/6 =0

The x within the brackets can't be a multiply sign as it wouldn't make mathematical sense if it was so you have actually thrown up a sum that can be easily worked out.

So would that be

(6 squared multiply by X + 6 squared minus X) divide by 6

X being an unknown value without having the answer?

No as you have written it the 'x' is the value you ^ points to i.e. 6^2 =6squared or 6^5 = 6 to the power of 5 or 6x6x6x6x6

4+6X3 =22

Now you either knew this or ive just re-educated you on something you lost in your memory because of teaching practices.

Very good. :)

Now, let me re-educate you on the English Language which is another thing that sparks should have a good command of.

The title of your thread should read: Electricians should know THEIR basic maths ....... :smug:

Judging by some of the OP's replies, he doesn't know his basic maths either! :)
lol yes my Inglish is crap i'll be the the first to admit but if you see error in my maths please do correct it with explanation :) and not just a another confusing jumble of maths symbols entertain us with the breakdown and explanation..... unlike most il be the first to put my hands up when i make a boo boo :)

Last edited:
lol yes my Inglish is crap i'll be the the first to admit but if you see error in my maths please do correct it with explanation :)

LOL ..... I like it.

I meant no offence and am pleased to see that none seems to have been taken - it's just my warped humour shining through.

And now I'll let you into a little secret: I'm hopeless at maths!! :8:

lol yes my Inglish is crap i'll be the the first to admit but if you see error in my maths please do correct it with explanation :) and not just a another confusing jumble of maths symbols entertain us with the breakdown and explanation..... unlike most il be the first to put my hands up when i make a boo boo :)

I would have thought a man of your pedigree (in depth knowledge of the Quantum world) would know that '^' means 'to the power of'! :)

I never get offended Geordie its a website forum at the end of the day i enjoy it and its fun ....and like yourself been on a while if people get upset by comments then anger management is a big suggestion although i'll refrain from forwording a few names of members on here...... life isn't worth getting wound up from a random comment on a website ... i know the regulars on here like yourself and know when comments are sarcastic with humour and when they are deliberately undermining ...... given that i still wouldn't give a .........

I would have thought a man of your pedigree (in depth knowledge of the Quantum world) would know that '^' means 'to the power of'! :)

Your correct Archy and yes i should know but im not as advanced in computers as i'd like and when you convert a math' equation into keyboard speak i have to question myself about the conversion from the way we normally write to the power of and how to show it on a computer.... thats where i get lost .... i can tell you the full atomical cycle of our sun but my vast knowledge makes me crap in other areas ....namely remembering peoples names, faces etc and i blame English skills on the fact i missed 2 years of school due to the infamous teachers strikes of the eighties where i attended for 31 days of 1 yr and 82 days of the next yr... .... but regardless i havent done too bad :)
:smug:

I never get offended Geordie its a website forum at the end of the day i enjoy it and its fun ....and like yourself been on a while if people get upset by comments then anger management is a big suggestion although i'll refrain from forwording a few names of members on here...... life isn't worth getting wound up from a random comment on a website ... i know the regulars on here like yourself and know when comments are sarcastic with humour and when they are deliberately undermining ...... given that i still wouldn't give a .........

Good lad. You're a man after my own heart.

Too many folk take forums etc. far too seriously - a bit like the soaps on TV in fact.

Reply to Electricians should know there basic maths.....DO YOU!!!! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock