Discuss Energize a contactor/relay from multiple toggle (not momentary) switches? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is it possible to energize a contactor/relay from multiple toggle (not momentary) switches in a way similar to 3-way switches?
If so, what components and setup would do that?
The purpose is to control lighting from several sources and the reason for not using simple 3-way switches is that the switches in the system are RF controlled with remote and they have only Live in and out.

I'm asking this question because the electrician I have consulted about it, mentioned it is not possible with standard residential equipment and I'm curious if that is true?

Please let me know if there is any missing data to answer this question.

Thanks.

You query is somewhat vague as to exactly what you mean -

What do you mean by '3 way switch'?

I suspect the existing wiring is not suitable to control the lighting in the way you wish, you would need a central control hub communicating with the switches and then it would be programmed to your needs, these are not cheap solutions and must agree not usually used in domestic although the market is showing signs of budget systems entering the domestic arena.

This is all on the idea you can buy light switches that trigger with remote controls?

Why the query, is this design for someone with disabilities?

A diagram of some nature may go some way to explain what you are asking, as you seem to mention toggle switches then discuss RF control so it is a little confusing.

Thanks, darkwood,
  1. By mentioning a three-way switch, I have meant that the system should function similarly to a simple multiway light switching, but with contactor/relay providing that functionality instead of the three-way switches. That is basically what I'm asking, if that is possible?
  2. This is based on the idea that I already have two light switches controlled by two remotes at different locations, that I want them both to control the same light.
  3. This design is not for someone with disabilities but rather a driveway entrance light which should be controlled from two locations.
  4. I'm not professional, so I do not know how to sketch electricity diagrams, but to clarify, I have mentioned the word toggle only to emphasize that the RF controlled switches are functioning like toggle switches rather than momentary switches to rule out a solution using a latching/step relay that is controlled by a single/multiple momentary/push switches.
Many Thanks.

In reference to a diagram, it was merely a request for a sketch of any nature which could expand on your query so not necessarily electrical...

As has already been mentioned, there is no real limits as to such requests as systems can be made to do whatever you want, the issue is if you cannot buy such a system to suit your needs then it needs building and designing from scratch which is often well beyond the knowledge and abilities of many electricians, this starts slipping into the electrical engineering category although there are clued up electricians out there if you can find them.

There are many solutions here all operating and interacting in different ways, example if you have an electric gate you could use a volts free contact on its controls to trigger anything from lighting to cameras etc etc, mixing passive infra red with rf control is another option but the down side is if it's not available as a kit already then you will need someone who is clued up and expect it to be a lot more costly than other marketed options.

You could use a Toggle Relay.
Someone posted one they used on a lighting circuit a bit ago.
This can be operated from as many switches/signals as you want as all it does it toggle on/off.
I'll see if I can find the thread.

In reference to a diagram, it was merely a request for a sketch of any nature which could expand on your query so not necessarily electrical...

As has already been mentioned, there is no real limits as to such requests as systems can be made to do whatever you want, the issue is if you cannot buy such a system to suit your needs then it needs building and designing from scratch which is often well beyond the knowledge and abilities of many electricians, this starts slipping into the electrical engineering category although there are clued up electricians out there if you can find them.

There are many solutions here all operating and interacting in different ways, example if you have an electric gate you could use a volts free contact on its controls to trigger anything from lighting to cameras etc etc, mixing passive infra red with rf control is another option but the down side is if it's not available as a kit already then you will need someone who is clued up and expect it to be a lot more costly than other marketed options.

Are you familiar with such volts free component that can be triggered/energized from two (or more) sources? That is my missing piece of the puzzle that the electrician did not know/wish to solve.
[automerge]1571145227[/automerge]
You could use a Toggle Relay.
Someone posted one they used on a lighting circuit a bit ago.
This can be operated from as many switches/signals as you want as all it does it toggle on/off.
I'll see if I can find the thread.

Thanks, I'd be glad to see this thread and to know if the solution included step relay or latching relay which are usually working with momentary/push buttons. The type os switches I have do not fit such a solution.

Thanks, I'd be glad to see this thread and to know if the solution included step relay or latching relay which are usually working with momentary/push buttons. The type os switches I have do not fit such a solution.

sorry mate. You are correct, my post above is for momentary switches and not a constant signal.

In theory it's very simple to solve with two ordinary non-latching relays, although it may not be cost effective over changing the switches. Each relay is used to convert the single output contact of one switch to a changeover contact, equivalent to a normal 3-way switch. The contacts of the two relays are then wired in the conventional 3-way manner to the light. (Note for UK readers: What we call 2-way is often called 3-way outside the UK, esp. USA)

There are two minor disadvantages. You will need to accommodate the relays somewhere perhaps near the light where they will have access to the neutral. Also, when both switches have their output active, the light will be off but the two relay coils will be energised. This means there will be a continuous (very small but non-zero) power consumption that is not evident in any way, like an appliance in standby.

Each relay is used to convert the single output contact of one switch to a changeover contact, equivalent to a normal 3-way switch.

It seems like a straightforward solution and if it is indeed possible, then you have proved the claim of my electrician to be relatively wrong.
Can you give an example of a model for such a relay so I could refer to?

Thanks!

Reply to Energize a contactor/relay from multiple toggle (not momentary) switches? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net