Discuss Energy supplier refusing to connect up new PME supply? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The General

Afternoon all.

Just had a weird one and was wondering if there was some regulation that I'm not aware of or if I've missed something stupid....

The DNO have brought in a new PME supply to a purpose built (permanent) shed in a field where there is going to be a new build domestic property later in the year.
I've installed a very simple 2-way C/Unit connected to a double socket so that builders can plug in tools/chargers etc while they are working on site. It's got a 30mA RCD running to 25mm tails and 16mm earth which I left coiled in the supply box with my dead test results certificate ready for EDF to come and fit the meter.

Unfortunately I wasn't within phone signal at the time, but the customer told me that EDF arrived today to put the meter in, and then announced that they couldn't connect up the supply "because there was no earth rod"!? He refused to install the meter, despite the customer pointing out the PME sticker on the cut-out, and they will not come back until I've installed a rod and connected it to the MET.

What did I miss?!?! Or was he just a complete idiot?

Afternoon all.

Just had a weird one and was wondering if there was some regulation that I'm not aware of or if I've missed something stupid....

The DNO have brought in a new PME supply to a purpose built (permanent) shed in a field where there is going to be a new build domestic property later in the year.
I've installed a very simple 2-way C/Unit connected to a double socket so that builders can plug in tools/chargers etc while they are working on site. It's got a 30mA RCD running to 25mm tails and 16mm earth which I left coiled in the supply box with my dead test results certificate ready for EDF to come and fit the meter.

Unfortunately I wasn't within phone signal at the time, but the customer told me that EDF arrived today to put the meter in, and then announced that they couldn't connect up the supply "because there was no earth rod"!? He refused to install the meter, despite the customer pointing out the PME sticker on the cut-out, and they will not come back until I've installed a rod and connected it to the MET.

What did I miss?!?! Or was he just a complete idiot?
Meter Man = Jobsworth methinks

They work in mysterious ways their miracles to perform ...
I have seen the end result of this before, where DNO has required TT. Farm and a builders supply both seem to be triggers.
Edit : if they think it's a construction site then Section 704 may be relevant and 704.411.3.1 warns off using PME. Just a thought :)

Last edited:
They work in mysterious ways their miracles to perform ...
I have seen the end result of this before, where DNO has required TT. Farm and a builders supply both seem to be triggers.
Yeah, I could understand it if it was the DNO refusing to put in a PME, but when the DNO HAVE put in a supply and it's the energy supplier refusing to connect to it, my mind boggles!

Are they saying no PME without a rod or no PME full stop and use a rod.
They want me to install a rod, and then they'll send someone back out to connect up a meter.....I guess they will just connect the L&N tails and leave my nice 16mm earth floating around in the meter box ;-)

Can you manage a loop on the line and neutral.

Likely to be considering the requirements of section 704, Construction Sites. 704.411.3.1 says that PME shall not be used for the means of earthing for constrcution sites unless...

So set it up as TT, then change over to TN-C-S when the building's finished.
Good point wasn't thinking of a construction site.

Likely to be considering the requirements of section 704, Construction Sites. 704.411.3.1 says that PME shall not be used for the means of earthing for constrcution sites unless...

So set it up as TT, then change over to TN-C-S when the building's finished.
Sounds likely - I did wonder if I might have missed something specific about building sites, but in my head this wasn't really a construction site it's just a very very small house, in a field, with only one socket...

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

I had the same thing last summer on a small site, luckily he fitted the meter whilst I ran out to the wholesales for a rod. Got back and he left as soon as I got out the van with the rod In toe.

TBF the meter installer was correct as it's a construction site......I hate EDF with a passion so advise all my customers no to use them and tell them to use EON or British gas. These two install isolators to which you can self connect to. EDF are so far up their own backside that they think they're above and beyond fitting an isolator and would rather walk off site, charging you for an extra visit, whilst telling the customer how wrong you were by not installing the rod etc.....

I worked.for the local board in Cumbria, a temporary supply is not allowed to use one earth, you have to fit a rod and RCD. Same applies to caravans, agricultural buildings etc.

Reply to Energy supplier refusing to connect up new PME supply? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock