Discuss External Lighting controls. Manual on, photocell off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

atm84

-
Reaction score
A client wants some external lights to illuminate a pathway around a building at night to access the electrical switchroom, which is accessed via an external door. (The building is a 24hr building)

One thought was to install a switch inside the building and then if the lights are accidentally left on, a photocell would turn them off once it got light outside. I had thought about installing a retractive switch and i have used these before in conjunction with Absence detection in schools but not sure if these would work with a photocell.

Has anyone done anything similar or can recommend a solution.

Many thanks

How many lights, and are these lights only to be used to access if and when required?

I'm thinking a switch with a time delay off

If the access is only to the electrical switch room and this is not needed often then I would suggest a PIR (which has a photocell) sensor and have a manual off switch inside for maintenance use.

However your idea of photocell controlled lights with a manual switch inside also works.

However you can see that someone will turn them off at some point just when someone needs them to be on.

The alternative would be to have an external switch at the start of the pathway so that they can be turned on as someone approaches and turned off when they leave (you could still have an overriding photocell to avoid lighting during daylight.

If the access is only to the electrical switch room and this is not needed often then I would suggest a PIR (which has a photocell) sensor and have a manual off switch inside for maintenance use.

However your idea of photocell controlled lights with a manual switch inside also works.

However you can see that someone will turn them off at some point just when someone needs them to be on.

The alternative would be to have an external switch at the start of the pathway so that they can be turned on as someone approaches and turned off when they leave (you could still have an overriding photocell to avoid lighting during daylight.

Thank you for the suggestions. I don't want them to rely on them switching them off on the way back. Likely hood is they will forget. haha

If I went with the manual switch on, photocell off can that be done. I have only ever used manual on, auto off with an absence detector and they have specific terminals for wiring like that. I have never done it with a photocell

That what I thought originally. Can you recommend any quality ones. I was maybe overthinking it too much with a photocell etc

How long would the timer need to be capable of remaining switched on ? Generally the upper time limit is not very long for most electronic time delay switches.

Reply to External Lighting controls. Manual on, photocell off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock