Discuss Final Circuits - Ring or Radial? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

OldskoolUpNorth

I was speaking to an Electrical Engineering suit not too long ago,

He reckons that there's talk of Ring Final Circuits being done away with and the preference to install Radials only.

Anyone else heard this little gem.

Whats the general preference of everyone for the two systems????

Anyone already doing just Radials??

Ta,

i use radials for circuits of low demand, like bedrooms etc. still prefer RFC for kitchens.

The getting rid of rings is a hoary chestnut that as been going around since I started my apprenticeship too many years ago now to bother with. As far as I'm aware there is no indication that they will be going in the near future.

Like all circuits for me the design of them would take many factors into consideration and whatever is the most appropriate for installation is the one I would use. I have to admit working overseas for many a year as well as back home I do prefer radials as a rule of thumb for kitchen appliances. I like the Fridge/freezer, W/M D/W on a separate radial, but the power sockets I would most likely leave as a ring, unless there is a good design reason not to.

I like ring mains in commercial/industrial as well. It seems now that a norm is if you have 7/9 16amp sockets then the modern sparks would install them on 7/9 radials, where I would use a ring main and tap off. Again though you would design the circuit as what is best for the situation

The getting rid of rings is a hoary chestnut that as been going around since I started my apprenticeship too many years ago now to bother with.

Got the impression there's a new discussion been started by those up on high about it.

We were on about industrial but he seemed to reckon it would apply to all sectors.

Sure your right tho malcolm if it's been banded around for that long.

I'm using the 'LearningLounge' for retraining. On the subject Ring/Radial, ring circuits are primarily used in the UK. Inroduced after WWII, when there was an acute shortage of copper. There are disadvanatges, it encourages the use of too many spured circuits, missing or loose connections (i.e. one leg of the ring) resulting in cable overloads & too many cable connections in terminals with potential for overheating.

Apparently the it may be discouraged in future wiring regs, coming from the EU.

In these days of cost and energy preservation,the ring possibly has a better case for keeping than ever before and in all sectors

I have heard nothing lately
It is an old old bone of contention, the anti ring section has always been around,apparently they argue it out at the IET regularly, more as a tradition I suspect

As i have said in the past, setting aside the load issues, the biggest problem I see with radials is loss of the cpc connection after the first and before the last point of use, this could be easily cured by making the radial a 'Dual Earth ' circuit which would require a 4 core cable or a separate cpc run with the 3 core..I can't see it happening
J

As i have said in the past, setting aside the load issues, the biggest problem I see with radials is loss of the cpc connection after the first and before the last point of use, this could be easily cured by making the radial a 'Dual Earth ' circuit which would require a 4 core cable or a separate cpc run with the 3 core..I can't see it happening
J

There's already a reg in BGB (can't remember the number off top of my head) but radials running over 10mA need seperate earth of 4mm or more - poss industrial but seeing as I don't do industrial I don't know.

Midwest again this Ring circuits only being used in the UK is another Hoary old chestnut. Yes in a domestic situation I can't think of another country that uses them, perhaps a few old colonial places, but in the main domestic circuits are radials .............

But here I design many a ring circuit in offices, especially for IT installations, where we use 4mm ring finals. As I highlighted in my OP in commercial/industrial a ring main around a building for BS 60309-2 sockets, appliances etc is a much more efficient cost effective solution that individual radial circuits from a DB

There's already a reg in BGB (can't remember the number off top of my head) but radials running over 10mA need seperate earth of 4mm or more - poss industrial but seeing as I don't do industrial I don't know.

It's under the high integrity earthing section mainly used for IT where cumulative earth leakage is an issue
J

'Midwest again this Ring circuits only being used in the UK is another Hoary old chestnut' (sorry forgot to hit the reply with quote)

Only quoting what I have researched, but if you can show me differently? Wikipedia it, there are citations.

Totally agree, the benefits of a rfc are many. Could never understand why they have never taken off in other countries?

If rings are being phased out it will have to wait until the 18th regs then :)
They are of use in kitchens but i still prefer radials.

* Gets popcorn , could be a loooong thread lol.

It's under the high integrity earthing section mainly used for IT where cumulative earth leakage is an issue
J

But can also be a problem in domestic with the amount of gadgets we plug in these days. A few PCs here and there, games units, LCD TVs, modern hifi, under desk home UPS units etc and it all adds up. Have seen 17mA on a domestic radial before. Does anyone actually check protective conductor currents on a routine basis other than when on a tripping RCD call out?

But can also be a problem in domestic with the amount of gadgets we plug in these days. A few PCs here and there, games units, LCD TVs, modern hifi, under desk home UPS units etc and it all adds up. Have seen 17mA on a domestic radial before. Does anyone actually check protective conductor currents on a routine basis other than when on a tripping RCD call out?

Don't suppose they do, a good point tho, although I would say if you had 17mA on one Radial I would want to know what the hell was that leaky. I did look in to buying a clamp meter for this purpose as I am unsure if my normal clamp will measure low values like that.
J

Not all clamp meters do; need one that can measure mA. Although can put a multimeter in series if able to safely disconnect earth for the test and able to turn all the gadgets on.

Reply to Final Circuits - Ring or Radial? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock