Discuss Fire Rated Clips In Trunking in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

AFAIK the tests done by BRE found that plastic wall plugs were fine, the general thoughts are they will last the 30 minute survivability window that the wiring is required to stay in place for.

Isn't there a thread on here were we discussed this. Someone did a test and they were found to be inadequate in a fire.

Well for me I code a high concentration of cables not supported against premature collapse in the event of a fire in escape routes a C2 , using a judgment call in the amount of cables that if collapsed, would cause a danger.
A single piece of cable in a piece of trunking then I would not give it the same code as the risk of danger in my view is diminished.
The term escape route is removed from bs 7671 2018 regarding applying this regulation but I will apply the same principle when coding to the new regulations and for cables to be supported throughout the installation and being sensible about it.

Well for me I code a high concentration of cables not supported against premature collapse in the event of a fire in escape routes a C2 , using a judgment call in the amount of cables that if collapsed, would cause a danger.
A single piece of cable in a piece of trunking then I would not give it the same code as the risk of danger in my view is diminished.

If I was going to use your philosophy mate then I would code any cable in an escape route as C2.
You say "A single piece of cable in a piece of trunking then I would not give it the same code as the risk of danger in my view is diminished." Where do you draw the line? Is 1 cable of 2.5mm classed as 'risk of danger diminished'? If so then are 2 cables of 1mm also classed as 'risk of danger diminished'?

Firefighters do have side cutters on there BA kit, so 1 cable is obviously better than 20, but i dont think that should effect our coding. If its there with no propper fire proof support then its a C2 from me, 1 cable or 100 cables.

If I was going to use your philosophy mate then I would code any cable in an escape route as C2.
You say "A single piece of cable in a piece of trunking then I would not give it the same code as the risk of danger in my view is diminished." Where do you draw the line? Is 1 cable of 2.5mm classed as 'risk of danger diminished'? If so then are 2 cables of 1mm also classed as 'risk of danger diminished'?
I use my judgment in that obviously say 30 cables above a suspended ceiling without the required support of fire retardant fixings is a much larger danger than a 1mm cable unsupported on a wall anywhere in the building.
I did say that the term escape route is removed and this regulation is now applicable to throughout the installation.
I can’t see the logic of a C2 to say a piece of trunking containing a 10mm cable in a cupboard going from the floor to the loft for a shower supply

Is there any leeway during installation? A vertical run wouldn't seem to be a risk (?) nor a cable running horizontally behind kitchen cupboards for example. Or is it "just do it all" to ensure compliance?

Is there any leeway during installation? A vertical run wouldn't seem to be a risk (?) nor a cable running horizontally behind kitchen cupboards for example. Or is it "just do it all" to ensure compliance?

I'm presuming it's to stop fire fighters getting entangled in cables...
I understand your thoughts on cables behind kitchen cabinets but not totally sure what the deal it. I suppose it's best to go "just do it all", then you are covered..

I'm a bit late here, but just thought I'd add my own thinking as food for thought. I may well be wrong.

EICRs: C1 if it is anywhere likely to impede escape or fire fighting activities; the logic being that another fault does not have to occur for this to be dangerous - a fire could originate from a source unrelated to the electrical installation. C3 if unlikely to impede escape/fire fighting; just a recommendation but not actually dangerous to leave it.

New work: Use metal clips and raw plugs pretty much everywhere, including in cupboards and behind kitchen cabinets. I think the latter are normally regarded as furniture as far electrical installations are concerned (but please don't ask for reference for that). Still haven't made up my mind on lofts and basements yet...

EICRs: C1 if it is anywhere likely to impede escape or fire fighting activities; the logic being that another fault does not have to occur for this to be dangerous - a fire could originate from a source unrelated to the electrical installation. ...

A C1 is for immediately dangerous items, this is not immediately dangerous. It only becomes dangerous IF something else happens, that something else being a fire, so it is potentially dangerous.

A C1 is for immediately dangerous items, this is not immediately dangerous. It only becomes dangerous IF something else happens, that something else being a fire, so it is potentially dangerous.
But that something (the fire) is not (necessarily) related to the electrical installation. If there was an exposed live part something else would have to happen to make it dangerous - someone would have to touch it - but that doesn't make it a C2. That said I don't do EICRs, so I'm probably wrong...

Reply to Fire Rated Clips In Trunking in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock