Discuss Fitting a double dimmer switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

a pic. would help. usually the permanent L goes into C or the terminal marked ~. linked to 2nd switch same terminal. then each black (switched L) into L1 of each switch.

a pic. would help. usually the permanent L goes into C or the terminal marked ~. linked to 2nd switch same terminal. then each black (switched L) into L1 of each switch.
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of linking up the live with the ~ and connecting with a bridging wire to the corresponding ~ on the next switch.
Then as you say connecting the blacks wire to the L1 connections. Does this mean that I do not use the other red cable which is not live.
The old switch which was fitted, probably 45 years ago was a triple rocker switch but only two working and there were two bridging wire between
some of the terminals.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of linking up the live with the ~ and connecting with a bridging wire to the corresponding ~ on the next switch.
Then as you say connecting the blacks wire to the L1 connections. Does this mean that I do not use the other red cable which is not live.
The old switch which was fitted, probably 45 years ago was a triple rocker switch but only two working and there were two bridging wire between
some of the terminals.
Post a photo of how the old switch was wired. You did take one, before removing it, I trust?

I was thinking of linking up the live with the ~ and connecting with a bridging wire to the corresponding ~ on the next switch.
I thought the ~ wavy line symbol was the output of the dimmer (ie feed to the lamp) so may not be good to connect permanent L to it.
Or do dimmers work either way round these days?
Let me know if I've got the wrong end of the ~. 🤔

Last edited:
Sorry, what with my eyesight and your pictures, I can't make sense of that 🤔
Edit: well, looky here, I finally did!!😀

How many switches are on that plate - sorry, just seen you've said 3!

can you confirm - in your middle photo:
For the switch on the left, the COM terminal is away from us
For the switch in the midfle, the COM is nearest us
For the switch on the right, the COM is away from us
Are they all 2-way switches, each with three terminals?
Update - I think it looks like this:
Can you confirm??

1638791287385.jpeg

Last edited:
Hard to see but it is a three gang switch with a line in which links across them all but not across all Commons, one is in L2 due to the switch configuration from what I can make out but that is not relevant. Two outgoing lines in the L2s of the outer switches. @Jimbob950 can you confirm the middle Common has no wire connected.

My suggestion is - whichever switch is the one you no longer need, or doesn't do anything, remove that feed to the lamp from the old switch and insulate the end of the wire with a Wago or similar, That's not to be used any more.
Then for your two dimmer switches, connect the live feed presently linking the switches to L1 on each dimmer.
Then connect the dimmer tilda ~ terminals to the remaining two lamp feeds.

Sort of like this (not my art!) - blue and yel representing the two lamp feeds, stating the obvious!
1638792555249.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the middle common does have a wire in it now I look again as per @Avo Mk8, a pic I didn't see initially but I would say is correct.

My suggestion is - whichever switch is the one you no longer need, or doesn't do anything, remove that feed to the lamp from the old switch and insulate the end of the wire with a Wago or similar, That's not to be used any more.
Then for your two dimmer switches, connect the live feed presently linking the switches to L1 on each dimmer.

Sort of like this (not my art!) - blue and yel representing the two lamp feeds, stating the obvious!
View attachment 92666

View attachment 92666

View attachment 92666

View attachment 92666

Hello, Thanks for your suggestion.

Sorry, Had an urgent call from a neighbour. I have wired the switch a different way from your o. Something is wrong as only one light is working.
I will use your method an see if that works.
Thanks for your assistance.
method I used is as shown.
Not as neat as yours but your comments would be welcome
1638806120277.jpeg

You've drawn 'COM' on the diagram. Is that what is actually marked on the dimmers?

Do you have a leaflet with the dimmer showing how it is to be wired?

I think putting the power into the dimmer 'output' is wrong!

Finally, can you swap the blacks over and see if the behavior of the lights swaps correspondingly?

Last edited:

Reply to Fitting a double dimmer switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net