Discuss flickering lights/ burning wire smell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Figure I'd ask here for advice. House was built in the 70s. Recently I was running the dishwasher and noticed the lights in the kitchen flicker and smelled a burning wire smell. So I stopped the dishwasher but the lights continued to flicker for a while. I've narrowed the flickering down to the circuit in the kitchen. Several receptacles, lights and the dishwasher our on this circuit. It seems like the only time I smell burning wire is when there is a hefty load on the circuit ( such as microwave, dishwasher or bottle sanitizer). Any ideas? Loose neutral maybe?

could be a loose anything, this needs checking out before it burns anything down.
in the short term, avoid using the dishwasher or any other big loads on that circuit.

Lights and power on one circuit?!
Turn the circuit off at the board, and get an electrician in.
Lighting is usually fed by smaller diameter cables than sockets, and are rated for smaller currents. If the smaller lighting cables and fittings are fed from the same fuse as the sockets, they can overheat and be damaged. If someone idiot has previously rewired the house incorrectly, this may be the situation

Lights and power on one circuit?!
Turn the circuit off at the board, and get an electrician in.
Lighting is usually fed by smaller diameter cables than sockets, and are rated for smaller currents. If the smaller lighting cables and fittings are fed from the same fuse as the sockets, they can overheat and be damaged. If someone idiot has previously rewired the house incorrectly, this may be the situation
this is in the USA, there wiring is different and often lights and receptacles (sockets) are on the same circuit.

Figure I'd ask here for advice. House was built in the 70s. Recently I was running the dishwasher and noticed the lights in the kitchen flicker and smelled a burning wire smell. So I stopped the dishwasher but the lights continued to flicker for a while. I've narrowed the flickering down to the circuit in the kitchen. Several receptacles, lights and the dishwasher our on this circuit. It seems like the only time I smell burning wire is when there is a hefty load on the circuit ( such as microwave, dishwasher or bottle sanitizer). Any ideas? Loose neutral maybe?
Well first off microwave ovens, dishwashers, refrigerators are required to have its on dedicated circuit. Then the rest of the kitchen I suggest that you open your receptacles just to see where the burning smell is coming from. I’m surprised that you didn’t have any breakers trip. Good luck

Reply to flickering lights/ burning wire smell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net