Discuss Full Rewire Consumer Unit Height in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

danny30

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all. I am not an electrician but greatly really appreciate some advice if possible.

I am in the process of getting a full house rewire and the consumer unit is currently under the stairs. The electrician is saying that to get the work signed off by building regulations the consumer unit has to be moved on the side of the stairs about 1.2 M high. I would prefer it to stay where it is but obviously have to stick by the regulations.

I looked online and it seems that the mounting height of over 1.2M only applies to new dwellings. Would that be correct or does a full rewire and new consumer unit mean that it would count as a new dwelling and will need to be mounted higher up?

Thanks

it can stay under the stairs. you are correct in assuming that the 1.2m height is for new build. a small emergency light under the stairs would make life easier if you had to get to it in the dark to reset a breaker or RCD.

it can stay under the stairs. you are correct in assuming that the 1.2m height is for new build. a small emergency light under the stairs would make life easier if you had to get to it in the dark to reset a breaker or RCD.

Thank you for your quick reply. So to confirm it can stay under the stairs and is fine to get signed off?

being the cynic . would relocating the CU not generate a few extra hours and hence ££££s for spark?

Another factor is you need sensible access to it, not just for installation, but afterwards for inspection and resetting anything. So if it can go under the stairs and not present a problem for reasonable access it should be fine.

That also implies not filling the area up with general (or particularly flammable) crap later on! But that is outside of sign-off.

Also a +1 for telectrix suggesting an emergency light in there powered from the floor's lighting circuit. If the lights trip and it is dark you really would appreciate it!
[automerge]1589291712[/automerge]
being the cynic . would relocating the CU not generate a few extra hours and hence ££££s for spark?
If it is an actual rewire I guess not a big difference in time, unless it is already wired up and a move is bring proposed...

agree with what’s been said. In a full rewire, I’d use the opportunity to put it somewhere, where it’s easily accessible, so perhaps under the stairs (dependant on the style of stairs) might no be the best of places. Also the newer option height would also be a good idea.

Moving far from under the stairs might be a problem as the DNO cut-out would need moving as well, or maybe a switch-fuse if feeding long 'tails' in SWA or whatever to a new place.

However, you can get flush-mount options for many boxes so you could have it on the outside of "under the stairs" but not protruding my any significant degree and that might be withing the 3m max run for tails without a switch-fuse.

Again, under the stairs might be OK but adequate access is a key point.

I am very annoyed that he tells me on the day that he is supposed to connect everything that he wants to put my boiler beside the stairs and on top of it he wasn't even going to put a flush unit. Looks horrible there.

Is it difficult, and what would it entail to extend the wires and move it next to the front door around 3 metres away?

And what would we estimate the cost on moving it be? Then in the worst case scenario I can deduct that amount required if he refuses to move it elsewhere and pay someone else to do that when they leave.

I'd be encouraging for it to be relocated outwit the cupboard under the stairs. Nice, potential fire risk and potentially if the stairs catch fire a hindrance to exiting the property. At least adjacent to the stairs it will be passed and thus seen more frequently. Use a flush fit unit and it doesn't have to be ugly.

Is it difficult, and what would it entail to extend the wires and move it next to the front door around 3 metres away?
The "meter tails", the cables from your supply meter (presumably fixed under the stairs) to the CU, are a special case since they don't normally have any switching or protection under your control. The DNO cut-out fuse is not supposed to protect your stuff as such - it is to protect their network. If the length is under 3m and it is protected against any realistic risk of damage then they are simply connected up (usually they are under 1m and direct from meter to CU).

However, if you want to route them further away and/or they are seen at risk form damage you need to put in a fused switch at the meter and then you can run them as long as you want (subject to voltage drop limits, etc). Typically to provide protection as well as high current capacity they would be done using something like 16mm or 25mm 3 core steel wire armour cable which can be routed around stuff, go through walls, etc.

Down side of that is it is quite thick and difficult to bend, so you can't put a sharp angle in it, you are looking at around 20-25mm diameter cable and minimum bend radius of around 20cm
[automerge]1589361156[/automerge]
If the SWA route is not feasible due to bend radius then you can put normal tails style of cables (double sheathed single core wires) in metal trunking for protection, that would allow tighter bends but is a bit more work to install.

Oh, sorry. Meant consumer unit. Will change that now
[automerge]1589363659[/automerge]
He has now said he can put it on the wall in the downstairs toilet. Does that sound okay?

He has now said he can put it on the wall in the downstairs toilet. Does that sound okay?
Obvious issue is it has to be safely away from any risk of water getting in. If it is just a toilet and handbasin and you are a reasonable distance away from either that it would be OK.

However, it would mean you could not realistically ever convert that room to have a shower without having some sort of water-resistant cover over the lot. Not sure if that is a factor in any long-term plans?

All this should have been discussed and agreed before starting work. Although domestic circuits are simple the installation should still be designed correctly including the layout of distribution equipment, cable routes and accessory locations before the first hammer is swung in anger.

Which reg no are we thinking of when saying above 1200 in a new builds ?
I know 132.12 and 513.1 but was struggling to find the definitive answer wen I was rushing recently! Cheers

Last edited:
So we have agreed to move it to the wall near the front door. I am not particularly happy with having to use joints to extend cables on a new rewire but I am trying to sort this out as best as possible.

Are joints problematic and is it something to worry about in the future? My wife keeps saying is saying going to be substandard wiring so I am just trying to clarify?

It is not ideal, but with a late change of plan it is probably the best compromise on cost/time as long as the joints are properly done then it is fine.

The whole joining section needs to be suitably enclosed for physical protection, ideally in a metal box with suitable glands so it has the same fire protection as a metal CU would have.

Also ideally you would want maintenance-free spring loaded style of connectors (e.g. Wago) which are many electrician's first choice anyway, or proper DIN rail mounted screw terminals (they look neat and are widely used in control panels, etc, but they have to remain accessible for testing/inspection).

Reply to Full Rewire Consumer Unit Height in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock