Discuss Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I offered to do a consumer unit change before for £150, (a relative's friend) as a favour, he said "that's a rip off im not paying that, british gas are coming to give me a quote next week any way..."

i walked away with a smug grin on my face, thinking what an idiot.. people dont like paying anything for electricians, as long as their tv is on they dont care if its safe or not..

They would rather pay more per hour for a tiler or painter... winds me right up

Last edited:
people dont like paying anything for electricians, as long as their tv is on they dont care if its safe or not..
So true mate. So some days I hand out Dangerous Situation Reports like dolly-mixtures to cover my arse when the proverbial hits the fan!

So true mate. So some days I hand out Dangerous Situation Reports like dolly-mixtures to cover my arse when the proverbial hits the fan!

So....following on, I prefer liquorice, what would that get me? Minor works? Im guessing a green & blacks massive bar of choc would be a 100% EICR? ;-)

Some companies round my area charge silly amounts for DB changes. I quoted one guy about £225 to stick in a little single RCD 5 way board in a flat and he texted me back all confused. Turned out another firm had come in and quoted over £750! they had insisted the 6mm bonding had to be upgraded which it didn't.

With regards to time I normally reckon a 10 way board takes me about an hour and half on a good day between power off and power on but with testing, smoking a tidying i'm rarely away before lunchtime. Some jobs I've done I've spent about 3 hours prepping before even screwing the board to the wall.

£125 is the new low in this area.
The job was for a relative of a good customer of ours, normal scenario 5 way wylex no bonding gas and water both other end of house!
We quoted not sure quite how much as PJ did it.. but he heavily discounted it due to the relation of a very good customer.

We lost it to a guy who charged £125 (NIC DI registered)straight up on my kids life £125 We've seen the bill!! (will try and get a copy a post it one here)
Took him just over 2 hours.... can't imagine bonding was installed but who needs bonding!!!!!

Luckily our customer was also not convinced he could have done a good job..... or we could have lost them also!!

Last edited:
How can this NIC DI registered guy do it for £125 even if he got a good board for £80 he is looking at £45 that would not cover for the survey time and what about certification ???

Staggering, 2 hrs to do a board, fully tested, certificate, etc.

HMRC need to be told, as you can't do those sort of jobs and cover all your overheads, tax and NI.

I'd never heard of him before but did check with the NICs website and he checked out.

Our customer's put doubt in their relatives mind... hence they're coming to us for some heaters.... We're going to try to get a copy of the guys cert and obviously look for the bonding (about 30 mtrs) that I'm sure can't be installed.

Then we'll contact BRCS who'll tell us to put it right the NIC will foot the bill and never pay us....... that old chestnut again!!!

How can this NIC DI registered guy do it for £125 even if he got a good board for £80 he is looking at £45 that would not cover for the survey time and what about certification ???

Can get a cheap board for £50, perhaps less.

Maybe whack in 2 a day, its £150 back to you. Minimal chance its tested or anything, seems like he is changing as quick as possible and fooking off to the next one.

If he was over here I'd report him in an instant (would check his work is sub standard first mind!). The NICEIC Sparks here seem to think they are above everyone and better than everyone!

150 sounds low but some companies out there don't give a ****.
I went on an IPAF course last november.
There were some sparks doin house bashing rewires at 350 and finished in a day!!!!!!!!
How does that work then????

150 sounds low but some companies out there don't give a ****.I went on an IPAF course last november.There were some sparks doin house bashing rewires at 350 and finished in a day!!!!!!!!How does that work then????
That can't be done!!!! 350 wouldnt even cover materials.I had one the other day. Got a phonecall off a guy who won the council tenders in a neigbouring borough. He was looking for subys to carry out rewires on empty council properties and would I be interested. I said yeh just give me a shout and il give you a quote per house. He said no its 650 for a full house that the going rate. All materials supplied. must be done in 2 days. I told him where to go. Needless to say it was possible to do because they where empty but the profit the guyt will be making for sending out a suby is unreal. Lets say it costs him a grand for the suby at 650 and materials. he's easily looking at profits of between 600 and 1500. Absolute ----

Do you have to actually replace any of the wires when doing a re-wire?
I had my Council house re-wired once whilst I was away.
They changed the CU and all the accessories and light fittings, nothing else.
Fortunately they left with my wife all the old accessories in a box.
They informed my wife that I'll be changing them back, as the new ones they had fitted were rubbish.
Even left me the old metalclad split board, which I later used to replace an old Wylex re-wireable board at my parents house.

"If he was over here I'd report him in an instant (would check his work is sub standard first mind!). The NICEIC Sparks here seem to think they are above everyone and better than everyone! "

Thats because they think they are God

"HMRC need to be told, as you can't do those sort of jobs and cover all your overheads, tax and NI. "

I am not sure where HMRC come into this and they wont be chasing him any time soon to get the tax on £45-£65 profit and also the more I hear this the more this sounds like an urban legend in other words if its too good to be true it is Me I would not even consider doing this type of job without initial IR Ze tests so even if he is getting £50 fuseboards this to me does not add up to a going business model

Reply to Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net