Currently reading:
Fuse box installed for £150 what!!!

Discuss Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah highspark,

Could of been subs wi materials provided but didn't give me that impression.
Either that or they were going spinlondons route and choosin which bits to change.... the ones you can see probably!

Cost DID include materials.

We got the Ze and some Zs before PJ quoted I doubt if the "NIC DI guy" did.... but to be fair he may have.

Ze 0.11
Sockets Zs 0.40 max
PME (TNCS)

Also I didn't know before but the main earthing conductor needed upgrading to 16mm (Just reading Job sheet so no idea what it was)

Last edited:
Another forum member contacted me last year asking if I'd be up for some work in the neighbouring town?

Council house rewires, subby, £100 per day each, 2 men need to complete 1 rewire per day!

Needless to say we knocked it back, its just not possible even in trunking. Ok they may be times when it is possible but not every day of the week. We would have to work as fast as speedy gonsaless and tazmania devil for £100 before travel costs, tax, NI and replacing tools! Not a chance.

I did some re-wire for Pimlico Council many years ago.
I think we were on £100 a unit plus extras.
We were required to re-use existing conduit, where possible.
If trunking had to be used, then we were paid extra, something silly like 20p per meter.

Staggering, 2 hrs to do a board, fully tested, certificate, etc.

HMRC need to be told, as you can't do those sort of jobs and cover all your overheads, tax and NI.
Im not sure HMRC are going to investigate someone just because they've been grassed up for NOT making any money.

You find that companies will advertise a cheeap deal... once in the faults will come rolling and bonding etc will not be up to scratch, this is when the customer ends up paying out of the nose..

I'd take £650 for a void all day long! I was doing them for £500 for a while.

National schedule of rates are shocking, a 1 bed rewire is £1200 if I recall, trunking or no trunking.

A rather handsome board there.

£45 is good. Where from?

I'm getting a BG 17th Ed board tomorrow for £71 from CEF City Electrical Factors.
This is after the customer had bought a Wylex 10 way split board from Screwfix for about £95! It arrived broken, as did a second!

I charge at £12 per hour for tracing unmarked circuits and faults

If you don't mind me asking, what is the JIB rates now a days
where is the allowance for your holiday pay?
where is your allowance for your £2m PL insurance?
where is your allowance for your NIC EIC, ELESCA, NAPIT membership?
where is your allowance for the maintenance for your vehicle?
where is your allowance for advertising and any other administration costs
and whatever business I have excluded from this list.
I personally feel if you are charging £12 per hour and that includes all business expenses then you are selling yourself short

If you don't mind me asking, what is the JIB rates now a days
where is the allowance for your holiday pay?
where is your allowance for your £2m PL insurance?
where is your allowance for your NIC EIC, ELESCA, NAPIT membership?
where is your allowance for the maintenance for your vehicle?
where is your allowance for advertising and any other administration costs
and whatever business I have excluded from this list.
I personally feel if you are charging £12 per hour and that includes all business expenses then you are selling yourself short

Selling short no stupid yes at these costs does the customer think they are getting a good deal and no doubt it is a cash job as for insurance and running costs me dont think this is a running business more like a visit to the pub and speak to the guy standing in the corner and if they want to do them for that cost then here is one who will not stand in their way

Last edited by a moderator:
A rather handsome board there.

£45 is good. Where from?

I'm getting a BG 17th Ed board tomorrow for £71 from CEF City Electrical Factors.
This is after the customer had bought a Wylex 10 way split board from Screwfix for about £95! It arrived broken, as did a second!
same board is £50 from B&Q.

not fully loaded

I will check now as I have the trade point catalog in my hand - have you got the page number off hand or is it on the website?

I just checked and B&Q dont do Hager at all online and nor in their trade point catalog.
Where did you see it - in store or online or in the trade point?

Just found the one I think your on about - a BG CU - 10 ways fully loaded for £50 + VAT.

Out of interest what is BG like? What is their reputation like for protection or are they a budget range?

Selling short no stupid yes at these costs does the customer think they are getting a good deal and no doubt it is a cash job as for insurance and running costs me dont think this is a running business more like a visit to the pub and speak to the guy standing in the corner and if they want to do them for that cost then here is one who will not stand in their way

cheap rates are because of the cheap labour coming into the game,more so on domestic,£12 ph is enough for a Electrical Trainee as they are wiling to work for free half of the time,they need to repay the quick course costs...so will undercut real sparks

cheap rates are because of the cheap labour coming into the game,more so on domestic,£12 ph is enough for a Electrical Trainee as they are wiling to work for free half of the time,they need to repay the quick course costs...so will undercut real sparks

We all know they can't sustain at £12 ph unless they are on the dole!u pays for what u gets?

there will be many a Electrical Trainee will catch it before it hits the water mate..

They'll throw it back in once they realise they would be better off workin at tesco! But after all £150 was the invoice price,could well of been near £300 if you included the folding stuff lol!!

Reply to Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back