Search the forum,

Discuss G59 qualification in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sdc8843

Hi Guys

Is it possible to do G59 work without a G59 qualification. I have the opportunity to quote on a job but can't get on a course for 3 months or so. Can you still do the work without attending the course.

Cheers in advance

Except that you have to be MCS certified!

Hi All

as stated above there are no qualifications for G59/2

you also DO NOT have to be MCS registered to complete the connection of a system to the grid under either G83/1 or G59/2

obviously if your client wants the FIT then you would have to be MCS registered for systems upto 50kWp

hope that this helps

If you are MCS certified and doing G59 work then you will also need to have a copy of :

ENA Document Catalogue Login it's only £185

You might need to login as guest first.

Depends on the size of system being contemplated

If it less than 50kWp over three phases or 17kWp per phase the the DNO's will now accept inverters that are "approved" to G59/2

This makes it wholly easier for installers to install systems of this size without the need to refer directly to the ENA documents, in this case the process would be

1. Request permission to connect to the local grid from the DNO - detailing equipment etc to be installed
2. Permission received
3. Connect G59/2 approved equipment
4. Send in notification of connection

It should be noted that the DNO still reserves the right to refuse connection (subject to grid reinforcement) for such systems - as they do for G83 size systems located in "close proximity) - however they also are unlikely to request witness testing as they are keen to reply on the approval of the equipment up to the outputs given above

hope this helps

Hi Worcester

I am presuming that you are referring to certification bodies?

If so then the MCS scheme documentation (in particular MIS3002 & MCS 001) does not require you to have any of the ENA documents, although it is expected that you have access to all of the relevant documents

As G83 and to some extent (depending on size) G59 are equipment conformity standards generally there woudl be no reason for the installer to hold them - in fact much easier to read / interpret information is available in the guidance documents that ENA make available free of charge

think of it as no different to being asked to hold a copy of BSEN 60898, why would you so long as you can access the Time current curves or Max Zs tables you don't need the equipment standard do you......................?

as ever i welcome any feedback

cheers

Agree to differ. I don't see how you can possibly understand what they are doing without immediate access to the documents (i.e. owning them) we have a very comprehensive library of all the standards that we regulalry need.

This is completely different from BSEN 60898, in that same way I wouldn't expect MCS certified organisations to have BS EN 10088-1:2005 despite the fact that we are using items that are listed there on a daily basis.

I would expect them (at the moment) to have
BRE 489
BS6399-2-1997
Eurocode 1
BRE 495

as they apply to standards of work that they are doing on a daily basis. I don't see how anyone can actully do their job properly without permanent access to the relevant documentation.

This is very much about the standards that we should expect from an installer, in fact it goes to the core.

As I say we will have to agree to differ.

What if they are buying in services that are deemed to be compliant?

ie structural engineer for eurocode 1 - or perhaps even a software program that is compliant with the methodology?

Still need them. If I subbed out all my electrical work, I can assure you they wouldn't let me get away without having BS7671.

Reply to G59 qualification in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock