Discuss Garden shed electrics in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

b21playa

Hi all

Just finished building a 30sqm shed from concrete blocks and now need some electrics in there

Now im not part p registered, so i will be notifying lbac and pay the fee for them to check afterwards, but i first need to draw up what needs to be done and need some help

currently have a crabtree split cu, which is about 40m away from the shed. the cu is at the front of the house, but i can get the cable into the garage and run it along the wall

was thinking of using 4mm or 6mm as rreally only need power for lights and maybe some power tools

is it best for me to run the swa directly from the cu or from a metal jb close to it going outside?

Hi personally i would use the 6mm swa, 6mm will give you just over 40A at the shed and 4mm around 33A,i know you are only looking at some lights and a few sockets but the last thing you want is to find things change in the future and you need to replace the cable, you can still only put in a 16A socket circuit and 6A lighting circuit in a 40A two way C/U, but it gives you a bit of expansion room.
It just depends on whether you want to pay the extra for the 6mm cable.
As for connecting the swa into the consumer unit i personnally woudn't and would connect it in to an adaptable box (others may disagree) with glands and remembering to make sure you earth the armour, then just use the same size T/E cable to connect to the main C/U, as for the shed C/U you can do it the same or some small C/U's have room to connect in directly it depends on the make and style.
Hope that is of some help.

hi, did a totally unrelated job recently over a relatively long run and calculated full load current at @39. something, decided to consult the wiring regs table and im pretty sure 6mm cable was 39A at ambient temp. although this device(industrial water heater) would never run at full load, the fact that it COULD, made me chose 10mm(much to my annoyance!)
the regs also have a simple calculation for voltage drop also

A 40M run of 6mm SWA with a load of 39A has a volt drop of 11.388v just below the 5% limit of 11.5v.

get in touch with your labc before you start as some boroughs insist on an inspection before electrical works are started

Thought that the 6mm is a power dis circuit so you would only have to allow the volt drop for the power ie 5% and then apply the lighting 3% to the lighting circuit within the shed only taking into account the length of the circuit form the shed DB or fused spur to the lights.

Thought that the 6mm is a power dis circuit so you would only have to allow the volt drop for the power ie 5% and then apply the lighting 3% to the lighting circuit within the shed only taking into account the length of the circuit form the shed DB or fused spur to the lights.

The volt drop is from the origin of the supply so the distribution cable volt drop needs to be added to the volt drop of the lighting circuit.

Reply to Garden shed electrics in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock