Discuss garge sockets in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi im a trainee so please forgive me if im wrong. my aunty has just been asking me for some advice. she lives in a 3 storey type house and if you can imagine the ground floor is the garage which has the consumer unit in, she wants one maybe two sockets in the garage. the first socket is up stairs. am i right in thinkin the best way too do this is to is to make a new seperate circuit with swa etc?

If the consumer unit is in the garage, that's got to be the best option for supplying your garage sockets. What would really be nice is, if there's a spare way/place for a MCB in the consumer unit. Then I'd definitely go for putting the garage sockets on their own little circuit.

In a domestic type garage, I don't really see the need for using SWA cable. Ordinary PVC/PVC twin and earth cable, clipped to the wall out of the way should be just fine.

David

Lews123, As stated if the CU is in the garage, it would be silly not to use this to your advantage and run a ring direct from it. Did you have a spare space to add a 32a MCB?

If not, I believe you can add a spur direct from one of the existing ring main breakers. ( I will consult the big red book and confirm )

You do not have to put the 2.5mm T&E in any type of conduit if it is clipped to a wall, however this would be benificial as not only would it look neater, it would give a small degree of protection from things leaning against it (Although very minor, unless you use steel conduit). SWA is not required as the garage should still come under the same dwelling as the house.

What I mean is that I think Lews123 is thinking of using armoured cable as it is going to a garage. As I am sure you'll be aware it is common practive to use this when the garage is not attached to the main building. My comment basically means that because the garage is connected to the main house (dwelling) the wiring used can be the same as used upstairs.

I think the comment about putting wires above car doors etc is a good one.

hi im a trainee so please forgive me if im wrong. my aunty has just been asking me for some advice. she lives in a 3 storey type house and if you can imagine the ground floor is the garage which has the consumer unit in, she wants one maybe two sockets in the garage. the first socket is up stairs. am i right in thinkin the best way too do this is to is to make a new seperate circuit with swa etc?

Lewis do you know what the sockets are intended to be used for in the garage?

The reason I ask is this could have a bearing on the installation, for example the use of a welding machine may require a different type of breaker. Assuming the consumer unit not rewirable fuses.

Why would you run a ring to feed a two socket circuit in a garage?

surely a radial circuit would more than suffice?

If I was you I would be protecting my cable with either trunking or pvc conduit, because hopefully your freshly clipped cable will be there forever and like Warren quoted earlier, if you are going to use a welding machine or grinder or what ever in the garage, you could run the risk of damaging or even melting the cable. You only want 2 sockets in there, so it won't exactly take long, would look neater, show off your skills to your Aunty mate ;)

Lews123, As stated if the CU is in the garage, it would be silly not to use this to your advantage and run a ring direct from it. Did you have a spare space to add a 32a MCB?

If not, I believe you can add a spur direct from one of the existing ring main breakers. ( I will consult the big red book and confirm )

You do not have to put the 2.5mm T&E in any type of conduit if it is clipped to a wall, however this would be benificial as not only would it look neater, it would give a small degree of protection from things leaning against it (Although very minor, unless you use steel conduit). SWA is not required as the garage should still come under the same dwelling as the house.
anything on the surface below 1.2 meters does have to be protected ie conduit or trunking and with it being in a garage definatley needs rcd and yes you can add a spur direct from the mcb.

Im just guessing here but three storey house is it an old one ,if so probably old wylex board and could do with updating and is there any rcd protection you need to start with the basics ie is the board up to date is there an rcd then look at how to wire it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to garge sockets in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock