Discuss Gas Cooker conked and electrical cooker replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, quick posting - welcome any advice as new to this stuff...

Have a Howden HJA 0150 gas grill/oven with a broken thermostat that and can't get a replacement (grill igniting but no gas coming out of oven burners when on).

The Howden grill/oven is on a ring in the kitchen which has following appliances on it:
-microwave
-fridge freezer
-kettle
-toaster
-a Howden gas hob
-the busted Howden grill/oven
-couple of kitchen sockets generally not used

It all goes back to a RCD with a fuse that says - MTN132 b32 hanger fuse

There is an electrical wall connection for the grill/oven, with (I think) a 6mm wire for the ring (and not the thicker 10mm wires used for showers).

I may want to replace with just an electrical gill/oven. So some questions...

-Is there is max kilowatt oven that I could just wire into the current wall socket (which is used for the current grill/oven electrical ignition connection)?

-Would I need to replace the fuse in the RCD for the main? And is so with what?

-Would these things ensure the fuse would not trip if the oven was switched on?

-There are lots of electrical ovens but the instructions say they should be wired directly to the fuse box, so wondering if there is one which can just run from this ring main (if I upgrade the fuse)?

Would hate to buy an electrical oven and then its a nightmare and expense to fit it (the fuse box is currently full).

Welcome advice.

(attached pic of gas connection, and wall sockets for hob and grill/oven)

Attachments

• electrical connection.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 58
It would be adviseable to get a local spark in to assess the wiring, considering you are changing to electric oven then calculatation of a load is required.just to add it may need it's own circuit.

Thanks. Some manufacturers indicate that (perhaps to cover themselves) - but I understood that below a kW level - the ovens can be plugged into mains.

If elecy works gets too pricey it makes sense to just replace it with a gas girll/oven (which is not the preference).

Would hate the fuse to be tripping everytime you turn on the oven.

Was hoping there was some sort of back of envelope calculation that could estimate the wiring was okay, the fuse just needs upgrading and the oven shouldn't be above a certain kW?

It's not as simple as that. The information in your OP has conflicting information where you mention the current setup is connected to the kitchen ring then, mention it's possibly a 6mm at the sw FCU. Without knowing what the true setup is then any advice given might be wrong.

It's not as simple as that. The information in your OP has conflicting information where you mention the current setup is connected to the kitchen ring then, mention it's possibly a 6mm at the sw FCU. Without knowing what the true setup is then any advice given might be wrong.
I know elecy's like absolutes.

Had a pic somewhere - but recall the wire its tje one down from a 10mm v. thick shower cable. The stuff used for ring mains - think its about 6mm.

Will get it checked - but assuming 6mm - do you think its poss for suitable power electrical oven could be fitted with a suitable fuse in the RCD that will not nuisance trip?

I know elecy's like absolutes.

Had a pic somewhere - but recall the wire its tje one down from a 10mm v. thick shower cable. The stuff used for ring mains - think its about 6mm.

Will get it checked - but assuming 6mm - do you think its poss for suitable power electrical oven could be fitted with a suitable fuse in the RCD that will not nuisance trip?

6mm cable is not used for ring circuits. 'One down from 10mm' - are you measuring the outer diameter maybe? This is not how cable size is determined.

I would say it is time to get a sparky in. No shame in knowing your limits.

Hi, yes, I just don't wanna waste elegy's time to realise its just a case of bringing the right oven and fuse.

Picture of the fuse box wiring attached for the grill/oven. Assume its the standard burial type for house wiring.

Gas oven replacement easy like for like - but welcome knowing if its poss to get suitable electrical oven with suitable fuse in the RCD considering what's on the circuit?

Attachments

• cooker wiring 2.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 46
  • cooker wiring.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 44
basically , if your new electric oven comes with a fitted plug, you can plug it into the ring. if not it will need a dedicated 32A circuit.for whick you need to get an electician.

Hi, yes, I just don't wanna waste elegy's time to realise its just a case of bringing the right oven and fuse.

Picture of the fuse box wiring attached for the grill/oven. Assume its the standard burial type for house wiring.

Gas oven replacement easy like for like - but welcome knowing if its poss to get suitable electrical oven with suitable fuse in the RCD considering what's on the circuit?

You won't be wasting their time if you pay whatever is agreed between you and him/her to come out and take a look.

basically , if your new electric oven comes with a fitted plug, you can plug it into the ring. if not it will need a dedicated 32A circuit.for whick you need to get an electician.

Hey thanks, much appreciated. And do you think I need to do anything with the MTN132 b32 Hager fuse in the RCD? Does that need to be upgraded considering the stuff on the ring to prevent any nuisance trips?

This is on the ring...
-microwave
-fridge freezer
-kettle
-toaster
-a Howden gas hob
-the busted Howden grill/oven
-couple of kitchen sockets generally not used

Last edited by a moderator:
MTN132 b32 Hager fuse in the RCD? Does that need to be upgraded considering the stuff on the ring to prevent any nuisance trips?

This is on the ring...

Maximum MCB for a conventional ring is 32A fed from an RCD of 30mA
(or vice versa) or an RCBO of both the above ratings.

You can't just uprate the RCBO/MCB, it's sized to protect the cable against overload and to disconnect in the event of a fault. Ring mains have other guidance too. Some hobs are advertised as being suitable for running off a plugtop but unless the instructions say the oven can some electricians might not fit it regardless to the power consumption.

You can't just increase the rating of it, no.

Please get an electrician in for your own safety.

If you add up typical consumption figures for the appliances you have, and include a new plug-in oven, it's not enough to trip the MCB.

1.7kW -microwave
0.5 kW -fridge freezer
2kW -kettle
1.2 KW -toaster
2.2 kW -a new oven
= 7.6kW = about 32 amps, depending on exact mains voltage
This doesn't include an allowance for the remaining sockets, where you say 'generally not used'

Although reaching the limit for the circuit, from a pragmatic point of view, will you ever have all appliances on at once?

Don't fiddle with your electrical installation.
As Tel said in post #8, just get an oven that is designed to be plugged in, and plug it in!

If you add up typical consumption figures for the appliances you have, and include a new plug-in oven, it's not enough to trip the MCB.

1.7kW -microwave
0.5 kW -fridge freezer
2kW -kettle
1.2 KW -toaster
2.2 kW -a new oven
This doesn't include an allowance for the remaining sockets, where you say 'generally not used'

Although reaching the limit for the circuit, from a pragmatic point of view, will you ever have all appliances on at once?

As Tel said in post #8, just get an oven that is designed to be plugged in, and plug it in!

Thanks so much

This is the fuse (hanger is the manufacturer) and its looks 32A

Yes, plug in one seems fine - had to check as even if its plug in, was worried it could keep tripping the fuse if someone decided to make a cuppa and toast whilst chips were in the oven and warming some milk in the microwave. with phone recharging in plug.

Search results for "plug in ovens" | ao.com - https://ao.com/l/search/101/99/?search=plug%20in%20ovens

...looks like there are options and hopefully they don't have any small print saying it needs its own line to the fuse box.

Just didn't know if anyone else was in this position and had a recommendation for an oven that goes in no hassle for reasonable price?

I assume its a case of stripping plug so its fit it into the FCU.

I would need someone to cap off and cert the gas supply I guess?

Yep. Fine. Leave as it is protecting the circuit.
Yes, plug in one seems fine - had to check as even if its plug in, was worried it could keep tripping the fuse if someone decided to make a cuppa and toast whilst chips were in the oven and warming some milk in the microwave. with phone recharging in plug.
If you turn all those on, I would wager the MCB won't trip, unless you buy an unusually powerful oven.
Search results for "plug in ovens" | ao.com - https://ao.com/l/search/101/99/?search=plug%20in%20ovens
...looks like there are options and hopefully they don't have any small print saying it needs its own line to the fuse box.
The first 'recommended' one at the top of that list is 2.8kW, so that's pushing it. Go for 2.2kW max.
You obviously need to pick one the right physical size to fit your cabinet!
If they come with a plug, no small print. I suggest keeping the plug on it and having an electrician fit a decent socket in place of that FCU.
Just didn't know if anyone else was in this position and had a recommendation for an oven that goes in no hassle for reasonable price?
I can't tell you which oven you would like! Research them on the basis of physical size, power consumption (2.2kW or under), reviews, maybe customer satisfaction ratings if you think you can trust them!
I assume its a case of stripping plug so its fit it into the FCU.
See above. Don't cut the plug off (cue debate about invalidating warranty, not). Plug it in.
I would need someone to cap off and cert the gas supply I guess?
Yes. And preferably someone to fit a good quality 13A socket in place of the FCU.

• Dislike
Reactions: UNG
Yep. Fine. Leave as it is protecting the circuit.

If you turn all those on, I would wager the MCB won't trip, unless you buy an unusually powerful oven.

The first 'recommended' one at the top of that list is 2.8kW, so that's pushing it. Go for 2.2kW max.
You obviously need to pick one the right physical size to fit your cabinet!
If they come with a plug, no small print. I suggest keeping the plug on it and having an electrician fit a decent socket in place of that FCU.

I can't tell you which oven you would like! Research them on the basis of physical size, power consumption (2.2kW or under), reviews, maybe customer satisfaction ratings if you think you can trust them!

See above. Don't cut the plug off (cue debate about invalidating warranty, not). Plug it in.

Yes. And preferably someone to fit a good quality 13A socket in place of the FCU.

Thanks. If I'm calling out an elecy to fit the socket and a gas peep to cap the gas - the economics of this are not going to work out in favour of electric (may be cheaper to buy a gas one - which isn't first choice as boilers and gas doesn't look like long term strategy considering the prices right now).

Doesn't help when manufactures instructions for plug fitting ovens are confusing...

"This appliance must not be connected to an ordinary domestic power point. This product comes fitted with a BS plug and cord."

Would it really require an elecy to replace the current FCU? Aren't the wall plates standard and just a case of checking everything is off with a multi-meter and putting the correct terminals in the right place to the below?

MK Logic Plus 13A 1-Gang DP Switched Plug Socket White - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-13a-1-gang-dp-switched-plug-socket-white/14790#product_additional_details_container

I agree. That's bizarre. The max wattage quoted is 2540W, which is about a 10A load.
They seem to be saying 'don't use the plug we supply, cut it off and connect to a FCU'
(or maybe they mean use an industrial metal clad power point ?)

So I retract all my "just plug it in" comments
I suspect 'Bush' are erring on the side of caution, having had customers complain their plug has melted or such like! (Most likely caused by a socket with loose contacts)

Would it really require an elecy to replace the current FCU? Aren't the wall plates standard and just a case of checking everything is off with a multi-meter and putting the correct terminals in the right place to the below?
MK Logic Plus 13A 1-Gang DP Switched Plug Socket White - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-13a-1-gang-dp-switched-plug-socket-white/14790#product_additional_details_container
No. Yes. Just as long as work is done safely and competently.
Except if you bought the Bush fan oven, in which case apparently you should use the existing FCU !

Reactions: DPG
1.7kW -microwave
0.5 kW -fridge freezer
2kW -kettle
1.2 KW -toaster
2.2 kW -a new oven

Thanks. Kitchen may have 5 people in it, so toaster, microwave, hob, kettle and possible oven could be on - fridge will always be on.

I heard electric is the way to go considering John Lewis have 100's of ovens and only 1 is gas.

Looking around at ovens and quite fancy this BEKO one, seems to tick the boxes for price point and simple:

BEKO AeroPerfect RecycledNet BBXIF22100S Electric Oven

Manual is a bit hopeless (cheers Beko), but it looks likes it a 13AMP fuse spur connection according to the Curry's spec sheet...
"This product requires hardwiring to a 13 Amp fuse and should be installed by a qualified installer, such as one of our Team Knowhow experts"

Seems like a wire into the fuse spur and get the gas capped off with a Gas certified engineer.

It is 2.3KW and wondering if it will be okay considering the current ring setup?

Welcome any views.

It is 2.3KW and wondering if it will be okay considering the current ring setup?

regs. suggest that any cooking allpiance > 2.2kW should be on it's own dedicated circuit. this is to avoid overloading a ring that may be close to capacity with other appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Cooker conked and electrical cooker replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net