Discuss Gas Cooker conked and electrical cooker replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm intrigued, you were adamant that due to your situation it was not possible to have an electrician on site however you have had gas fitters on the premises.

I've watched this getting longer and longer and finally this morning slightly in disbelief about how a cooker change would need 11 pages I skim read it. As far as I can tell:

"Can I fit this cooker myself"
"Probably not, no"
"I'm going to do it anyway."
"You need an electrician"
"No I don't". "But please help as it's got complicated"
"How dare a gas-safe man try and save my life"

This should win a prize for the most unsuitable username.

I've watched this getting longer and longer and finally this morning slightly in disbelief about how a cooker change would need 11 pages I skim read it.

Don't understand how there are documented tolerances in operating manuals indicating acceptable gas drops (which happen in houses) and yet it is then left to the discretion of individuals to cut of critical supply when its within those tolerances, which has severe impacts and greater risks to occupants..

Am glad I changed to electrical. The days of gas will be over soon - too much hassle.

Don't understand how there are documented tolerances in operating manuals indicating acceptable gas drops (which happen in houses) and yet it is then left to the discretion of individuals to cut of critical supply when its within those tolerances, which has severe impacts and greater risks to occupants..
I know it's highly unlikely, but is there any chance you upset the gas man, somehow?

Even though the cadent operation manual allows minor drops (with no smell of gas) there is a hypocritical philosophy of "not on my gas card" by the engineers. As long as some other independent gas engineer switches on the gas - its all okay. The driver is personal job protection - not household welfare - irrespective of the disruption.

Anyways, am grateful for the advise about the oven electrics from the group, I don't think I would have got the same level of independent advise or analysis rigour that was provided here.

Hey all, its Kalamity Ken here again. 🧑‍🔧

Guess what? The oven blew the fuse in its FCU, in the FCU on the kitchen ring and tripped out the RCD 🙄

Returning after a couple of days away discovered the RCD and Kitchen circuit switch had tripped.

Could flick the Kitchen circuit back on and the RCD. Microwave, fridge, kettle, etc, sockets back up okay. But no Hob and Oven

== Switched FCU to Hob & Oven === Kettle & Toaster Socket === Microwave Socket == Fridge etc...
. ║
. ║┉> Hob Switched FCU ┉>Hob
. ║
. ║┉> Oven Switched FCU ┉>New Oven

Replaced the 13A fuse in the "Switched FCU to Hob and Oven" - and Hob was back up but not oven.

Replaced the 13A fuse in the "Oven Switched FCU", switched on. and Bang(!) circuit down again.

Can I assume a wiring short in Oven Switched FCU, or Oven connection or something dodge in Oven?

• Funny
Reactions: DPG
I give up.

But not before 25 characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Cooker conked and electrical cooker replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net