Discuss Gas engineer changing to electrician advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Firstly thanks for the chance to find advice I need. I'm a qualified gas/heating engineer with over 20years exp. Icometed about 3 years of night school whilst working as an electricians mate over 20 years ago ( before heating) I know how to bend tube,tray,and have experience in house wiring,3 phase,cat5,panel wiring . So I have done quite a bit of i+c and a lot of domestic but 20+ years ago .where can I now get qualified without having to "suck eggs" ? I have been looking at trade skills 4u but that all seems too easy and not what I need .I dont mind the long route ( I'm 47) but age and work commitments ( I run my own heating company) will restrict when I can learn .any advice would be welcomed

Do you have any electrical quals when you was doing the job.?
Hi Dave , no I dont . I done nights college learning my 236 part 1+ 2 but got the chance to go and work on sit as an improved earning electricians wages ( basically doing the full job as a spark but under an electrical designer) so got taught onsite how to red drawings,wiring diagrams.panel wiring etc etc all onsite and no real theory ,that's what I need to learn and get qualified in

Okay fair enough, depending on the level of scope you require, you might be able to do domestic installers course, just an idea seeing your gas qualified might be worth contacting one of the niceic gas training centres they will be able to advise you.

Okay fair enough, depending on the level of scope you require, you might be able to do domestic installers course, just an idea seeing your gas qualified might be worth contacting one of the niceic gas training centres they will be able to advise you.
Thank you ,I didnt think of them . I've tried talking to all sorts ,most of the " advisors" I've got shirts older than them lol.

JIB mature candidate assessment???
What does that entail ? I would need training obviously but it's the content I'm worried about ,getting fully qualified for what I used to do is now going to take time and money ,I have both but want to do it properly and end up with the correct qualifications .tia

Reply to Gas engineer changing to electrician advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net