Discuss General Pricing / Help required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes very happy.

I was concerned as the prices are creeping up and every job has rememdial work.

Not being a spark i wanted to check i wasnt getting done over as it happens even if he is a mate.

Turns out all is well from the sounds of it

Yes very happy.

Not being a spark i wanted to check i wasnt getting done over as it happens even if he is a mate.

Can't blame you for that mate but a trip to the pumps and a bit of copper is an indication of what's what. Even a humble roll of tape has nearly doubled in the last couple of years. You know what the man said "We will all feel the pinch".

Yes very happy.

Interesting - are you saying he has to come back and fix "his" work or he identifies mandatory upgrades that are required prior to being able to do the work? If its the later he sounds like a bod who's doing it by the "book" and not cutting corners and thus is a asset to your business.

Making a huge leap of an assumption but i would expect people who want a new kitchen or bathroom , it is because theres is very old and needs replacement. As 17th is relatively recent and RCDs are much more prominent, for lighting especially, it could well be that EVERY job does need an upgrade to CU and earhting.
You probably need to build that into your mind so dont think its a scam - its not.

Making a huge leap of an assumption but i would expect people who want a new kitchen or bathroom , it is because theres is very old and needs replacement. As 17th is relatively recent and RCDs are much more prominent, for lighting especially, it could well be that EVERY job does need an upgrade to CU and earhting.
You probably need to build that into your mind so dont think its a scam - its not.

Good point , you will know the general age of the installations you are replacing.

That is a fair comment.....

I would say at least 75% of kitchen and bathroom refurbs we carry out have some form of remedial works involved.

Most common being no RCD protection.

May I ask:-

What is the quality of this guys work?

Do you get any complaints regarding how he conducts his business in your customers home?

Do the customers complain about the price?

If everyone is happy then I would say stick with him but perhaps mention that it may be worth you both sitting down together and seeing if you can come up with a better pricing structure.

The rates you have posted seem very fair especially as there isn't really such thing as a half days work.

A good electrician is very hard to come by these days and whilst someone may be cheaper they may also reflect badly on your business through either call backs or general attitude towards your customer.

Perhaps you're feeling that because you are giving this chap quite an amount of work you feel he should be rewarding you back in some way?

If you're happy with him then stick with him. If he doesn't turn up on time or when he says and his work can be sloppy at times then perhaps look elsewhere but I'm pretty sure regardless of who you use the price will not be too different.

:thumbsup

When installing a wall mounted fan, is the hole already there? If not who's coring it out? Have you seen the price of a 4 inch core bit?

Same with down lights, they're time intensive if you have to plan out in an existing ceiling to get then looking right.

Problem with going into properties that haven't been touched in years, there almost going to be remedials to complete. Its just the way it is.

I do work for bathroom guys and its a daily moan, them saying its too much etc etc. TBH once the works been completed and i go back to finish of, on most occasions i look at the bathroom and think christ almighty, if this lasts 5 years without falling apart/leaking then the customers lucky.

From my experience, its the bathroom fitter under quoting to get the work, who then throws in a new bathroom, then when they see how much I quote to do the job properly, to regs with nothing that can be pulled or criticised, they often think i'm over charging.

Many thanks for all the replies guys!

To be honest he is great! Whilst he has the usual time issues like being late due to running over in another job, his work is very good.

I've never had a customer moan about anything, only the odd comment about the price and yes, people have mentioned about feeling like they 'have' to have remedial work done and they don't know if it's a legal requirement or a 'safety issue'

After reading your comments I'm happy that all is well and he's a good un' so will just have to stomach the fact that electrics are wgat I consider to be expensive and reflect that in my pricing on electrics.

Many thanks guys!!

Many thanks for all the replies guys!

To be honest he is great! Whilst he has the usual time issues like being late due to running over in another job, his work is very good.

I've never had a customer moan about anything, only the odd comment about the price and yes, people have mentioned about feeling like they 'have' to have remedial work done and they don't know if it's a legal requirement or a 'safety issue'

After reading your comments I'm happy that all is well and he's a good un' so will just have to stomach the fact that electrics are wgat I consider to be expensive and reflect that in my pricing on electrics.

Many thanks guys!!

The "extras" we have to quote Joe Public for are often "embarassing" as many do think we are trying it on. There is a very good leflets by the ESC which covers water and gas bonding which I often email to clients.

Shame the ESC nor the schemes do much marketing to raise public awareness, which would help us all!

The only one of those prices that caught my eye was the protective bonds. But, without seeing the job, then its very difficult to say. With regards to the plinth lights, if he is having to measure and drill the relevant holes for these, then that can take ages as he'll only get one shot at them.

When I work for other tradesmen I never deal with them I always deal direct with the client and discuss all electrical work/requirements with them. The reason for this is because it is not often that other trades put money on top of the electrical quotes to make their work look more competitive. Also, I never want to risk not being paid due to circumstances that may arise from the other tradesman's workmanship.

This can work both ways and from the clients point of view it gives them the option of using a spark of their choice. I am always happy to quote against competitors:thumbsup

Reply to General Pricing / Help required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock