Discuss Generator to 16 amp commando wall socket through wall to 13A wall socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
For emergency use, when there's a power outage, the current situation (no pun intended) is that I'm running a hook up cable from the 16A socket on my genny, (see hook up cable - 25 m length) along the garden path, and through a small window into the house. This hook up cable goes to an extension cable which has a commando socket at one end and X4 13A sockets.(see extension cable. ) All works well so far and has had a few class 2 items connected - which is all we need to run.

But, I'm thinking! Why bother to run the hook up cable from the generator outside and along the path, when I could (unless advised otherwise) run it through the barn which is connected to the house, and then to a 16A commando socket on the barn side of the wall, and connect this through the wall to an independent (not connected to the mains house wiring) 13A socket on the in-house side of the wall?

If possible, this would mean I could leave the cable in place in the barn, even when the generator isn't running (and not connected). It would also avoid a potential trip hazard on the path and protect the cable from the elements further. Similarly, I wouldn't have to head out into the weather on a dark night and route the cable along the path, etc., if the power suddenly goes off.

This is the sort of wall 16A socket I'm thinking of on the barn side of the wall 16A barn side. Would this be OK?

I'll ask a local electrician to put the 16A socket in and wire it to a 13A twin socket on the other side of the wall, in the house. But before i ask, and make a potential ejiot of myself, I thought I'd ask here first, so as not to appear completely ignorant to the electrician :)

Is this idea workable? Is there something I'm missing here? What are the (if any) hazards I've not thought of? Is there a better way of doing this, other than connecting the genny directly to the house (mains) wiring system which I'm not keen to do. I want to keep the emergency back-up simple and independent.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

The general plan sounds ok to me.
just have to be careful about the socket or appliance inlet being the right gender for whatever it’s use is.

i.e. a socket is designed to give power out to something else and appliance inlet is more like a fixed plug and is designed to be fed from a trailing socket.

The general plan sounds ok to me.
just have to be careful about the socket or appliance inlet being the right gender for whatever it’s use is.

i.e. a socket is designed to give power out to something else and appliance inlet is more like a fixed plug and is designed to be fed from a trailing socket.
Thanks James. That's helpful.

Just an update on this and a question or two. I've now got the 16A commando wall plug for the hook-up cable from the generator to fix into, with the aim of then connecting through the wall to a stand-alone (not mains connected) new 13A wall socket inside the house. The plan would be to plug a 4 gang extension cable to this to power class2 items as and when needed.

But.... I was wondering. If the stand alone 13A wall socket has a 25 mm metal backbox embedded and screwed into the wall, would this effectively be earthing the wall socket to ground? If so, would that therefore interfere with what would otherwise be a fully floating neutral system? Is this a potential risk?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas.

Reply to Generator to 16 amp commando wall socket through wall to 13A wall socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net