Discuss Getting additional labour / subbies for large jobs... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a some larger jobs coming up where 2 or 3 pairs of hand would be useful. For those of you who take on large intermittent contracts, how do you go about the extra labour provision?

Local temp agencies have nothing on their books, and the national ones I have asked aren't cost effective.

This is mainly pulling telecomms / data cabling by the way. A part time apprentice has crossed my mind as maybe a good solution. Any other suggestions from those of you more experienced in such matters?

Cheers

You can only get a full time apprentice as far as im aware , i have two apprentices and 3 full time electricians , and in all honesty believe it or not you will make more money just you , so therefore when you look at these large jobs as you call them over price them as if you dont want them if you do get then you can afford agency prices.

Have you considered contacting your local college electrical tutors. It may only just be cable pulling but you may find the tutors will have some perfectly willing and reliable students with site experience who would be up for some experience of cable running and appreciate the work.

Thanks all for the suggestions - apologies have only just come on to see them.

Oliver - I know what you mean about the margin on these jobs compared to working alone, but they are for a large client I do a lot of work for, so it's a case of being able to do all of it or none of it. 2 men could do it, but would take about a month. Until recently I had someone part time (subby) and that worked well, but if I was to do it again it would have to be someone in it for progression, as I'm sure you can appreciate there is time and expense in getting someone up to speed. The agency rates I was quoted previously were £300+VAT per man per day, which I found unreasonable (correct me if you think I'm wrong!)

The suggestion of local college is a good one, and had crossed my mind but I'm not sure where I'd stand regarding insurance, DBS checks etc. The lecturers might have an idea if they have done it before, so that's a call worth making I think.

If I haven't sorted something by the time the job comes up then I will ask on here to see if someone wants a few weeks work, but again would need to be DBS checked, insured etc.

Food for thought - thanks all :thumbsup:

Reply to Getting additional labour / subbies for large jobs... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock