Discuss GFCI outlet required for dish washer ? outlet height from floor ? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ktnwin

DIY
Reaction score
The more I learned about home electricity, the more paranoid I become about outlets in my home.

First, in my 40+ yrs old home, ALL outlets are 9 inch above the floor surface (measured from the floor to the lowest edge of the outlet), including garage outlets. I just learned that NEC requires 12 inches minimum.
My question: "is it mandatory to move them to meet the minimum height requirement ?"

Second, my dish washer (hot water from hot water pipe) and garbage disposal each has its own outlets , on the same dedicated circuit. Both outlets are under the kitchen sink !!! Do they have to be GFCI ?

The more I learned about home electricity, the more paranoid I become about outlets in my home.

First, in my 40+ yrs old home, ALL outlets are 9 inch above the floor surface (measured from the floor to the lowest edge of the outlet), including garage outlets. I just learned that NEC requires 12 inches minimum.
My question: "is it mandatory to move them to meet the minimum height requirement ?"

Second, my dish washer (hot water from hot water pipe) and garbage disposal each has its own outlets , on the same dedicated circuit. Both outlets are under the kitchen sink !!! Do they have to be GFCI ?
Yes it needs to be GFCI protected and no you don’t need to move all your outlets up. That’s just on new builds

Thanks for the information. I will change one outlet (the first one in the circuit) to GFCI receptacle.
I feel a lot better about outlet height now.
you won't feel so good when your knees and back are as bad as mine and you have to get down there. ?

me 74 going on 18. the brain says do it, but the knees say bugger it.
Funny in our minds we can work like we did years ago but then realize our body says no way. It takes me at least 2 days to finish a project which I used to do in a day. Hang in there my friend. We will just pick on the young bucks who think they know everything. ?

you won't feel so good when your knees and back are as bad as mine and you have to get down there. ?
I could also replace the circuit breaker dedicated for the dish washer and the D disposal to be 20A GFCI circuit breaker. I am familiar with the main panel work.
I will have to do the same for the counter top outlets in the kitchen, an GFCI breaker is simpler to replace.
Last year, I did crawl under the sink to remove the outlet to check to see why the switch above does not turn one receptacle off. It was not too bad for my old age. The switch was good. It turns out that this outlet is for the dishwasher and there is another one behind the D disposal and that one is tied to the switch !!!
I only realize this when I install a new dishwasher and a new D disposal (plumbing work included). Also know why there is an extra water valve under the sink, now I know it is to feed HOT water to the dishwasher.

Reply to GFCI outlet required for dish washer ? outlet height from floor ? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net