Discuss Gluing alarm cables to UPVC Window frames & Door architraves in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bloody racist. :D:D:D.

I know this threads is old but I am going to resurrect it in the hope it may help someone who can afford a tube of glue. I have sensors fitted to my upvc frames, had a bit of problem running the cable to the desired spot, superglue isnt an option because on some upvc it will damage the frame and / or the cable, screws, nails ect cant be used either.

Just by chance I had a few spodges of saudal sticks all clear left over from another job so tried that, put a thin line of it along the cable run and push the cable into the line of sticks all, hold with tape if necessary until cables stuck , job done.

To remove, simply pull off the cable and clean any residue up using a plastic scraper or old credit card as that method wont mark the upvc unlike a metal blade.

Also used this to secure those cable covers sky and virgin often leave off, good stuff.

Of course his wont solve the problem of who is going to buy it for the OP !

--

I know this threads is old but I am going to resurrect it in the hope it may help someone who can afford a tube of glue. I have sensors fitted to my upvc frames, had a bit of problem running the cable to the desired spot, superglue isnt an option because on some upvc it will damage the frame and / or the cable, screws, nails ect cant be used either.

Just by chance I had a few spodges of saudal sticks all clear left over from another job so tried that, put a thin line of it along the cable run and push the cable into the line of sticks all, hold with tape if necessary until cables stuck , job done.

To remove, simply pull off the cable and clean any residue up using a plastic scraper or old credit card as that method wont mark the upvc unlike a metal blade.

Also used this to secure those cable covers sky and virgin often leave off, good stuff.

--

Hello Tuxornot,

Thank You for posting your recommendation of Soudal High Tack Adhesive & Sealant and a description of how to use it to glue cables ans sensors etc. to UPVC frames.

I am sure that it would be very helpful to any future readers of this thread if they persevere enough to get to your post after reading through all of the previous replies to me ?

However I have to ask what You meant by this comment:

Chris

Chris, I think he's referring to your previous reluctance to spend money :)

Spot on, thats what I was referring to :)
[automerge]1575753423[/automerge]
Hello Tuxornot,

Thank You for posting your recommendation of Soudal High Tack Adhesive & Sealant and a description of how to use it to glue cables ans sensors etc. to UPVC frames.

I am sure that it would be very helpful to any future readers of this thread if they persevere enough to get to your post after reading through all of the previous replies to me ?

However I have to ask what You meant by this comment:

Chris

Maybe there should be a handy tips section that things like this could be listed in, would make it easier to find.

The final comment was made in jest, given you probably found a solution already and only needed a small amount. I don't know the exact life of an open 300ml tube of sticks all, I had a half used tube that way laying about for a few months, its supplied with a replaceable cap to prevent it going off. I used it instead of silicone as clear silicone doesn't stick pvc that good and even then it leaches the plasticiser and turns milky.

I've used it for a load of gluing jobs and as a replacement for silicone sealer, defo worth keeping a tube handy.

--

Last edited:

--
[/QUOTE]
Spot on, thats what I was referring to :)
[automerge]1575753423[/automerge]

Maybe there should be a handy tips section that things like this could be listed in, would make it easier to find.

The final comment was made in jest, given you probably found a solution already and only needed a small amount. I don't know the exact life of an open 300ml tube of sticks all, I had a half used tube that way laying about for a few months, its supplied with a replaceable cap to prevent it going off. I used it instead of silicone as clear silicone doesn't stick pvc that good and even then it leaches the plasticiser and turns milky.

I've used it for a load of gluing jobs and as a replacement for silicone sealer, defo worth keeping a tube handy.

--

Hello again Tuxornot and DPG,

To update this and perhaps also help future readers:

I used this Superglue to attach the Alarm cables to the UPVC Window and Door architrave:

Toolstation Industrial Superglue High Viscosity / Thick - 50G bottle - £2.65

The cost of the adhesive was never an issue - I just wanted to try and get something that was not the size of a Mastic tube when I needed a very small amount - nor did I want to buy a Hot Glue Gun and Glue sticks for such a small amount of Gluing.

Because it would have been awkward and perhaps caused difficulty in aligning the cables correctly if I had tried to use a full line of superglue onto either the UPVC or the cables I just put dots of the glue onto the cables about 25mm apart.

Starting with dots of glue near the magnetic contacts and holding each section of cable onto the Window / Door architrave for a few seconds until I could release the cable - moving onto the next dot and doing the same across the shape of the architrave.

I then used some 25mm wide electrical insulation tape along the cable which I took off after a few hours.

I used a Prit Stick adhesive to glue the sections of cable that go up to to / through the ceiling onto the wallpaper above the Windows and Door - just putting the adhesive onto the cable in small sections of about 30mm long - I then pushed the small amount of slack that I had left back into the ceiling void.

When I posted this thread I was expecting to get perhaps 2 or 3 recommendations for suitable adhesives within about 6 or 8 replies.

I would never have expected anything like 120 replies although quite a lot of which were either winding me up or from Members engaging in banter with each other or commenting about me.

Thanks again for your messages.

Chris

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

You have a point, I think some of these 300ml cartridge adhesives should be available in smaller tubes but I suppose its down to production costs at the end of the day.

As for winding you up or commenting, that's the nature of forums I'm afraid, probably more so this one, the reason is that a sparkies life is not an easy one, I should know, I was one, retired now but I know that of all the trades this one is possibly the hardest, rules, long days, dealing with other people, being responsible and paperwork and every thing else can take its toll so when the chance for a little light relief comes along....... well, so long as it doesn't distract from the professionalism of the trade.

You see back in my day we never had the internet or even mobile phones, the only light relief from a long day was either a good tv show or being able to stamp on an apprentice, well tv today isn't the same and you cant stamp on apprentices any-more, only thing that's left is a bit of light heartened banter on forums like these, you have to develop a sense of humour of some sort otherwise you go la la loopy :)

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

You have a point, I think some of these 300ml cartridge adhesives should be available in smaller tubes but I suppose its down to production costs at the end of the day.

As for winding you up or commenting, that's the nature of forums I'm afraid, probably more so this one, the reason is that a sparkies life is not an easy one, I should know, I was one, retired now but I know that of all the trades this one is possibly the hardest, rules, long days, dealing with other people, being responsible and paperwork and every thing else can take its toll so when the chance for a little light relief comes along....... well, so long as it doesn't distract from the professionalism of the trade.

You see back in my day we never had the internet or even mobile phones, the only light relief from a long day was either a good tv show or being able to stamp on an apprentice, well tv today isn't the same and you cant stamp on apprentices any-more, only thing that's left is a bit of light heartened banter on forums like these, you have to develop a sense of humour of some sort otherwise you go la la loopy :)

Hello again Tuxornot,

Thanks for your message.

I know exactly what You mean when you describe an Electricians Trade as not being easy - dealing with Regulations, Customers, other Trades, Admin, Competent Persons Schemes, LABC etc.

I have been a Plumber, Heating Engineer & Gas Engineer for over 53 Years and have had to deal with all of the above including Gas Safe Mandatory Registration, Gas Safety Regulations, Water Supply Regulations / Bylaws, Building Regulations etc.

Without wanting to contradict your assessment that of all Trades the Electrical Trade is the hardest:

I would guess that the Heating Engineer / Gas Engineer / Plumber`s required knowledge and adherence to - Gas Safety, Plumbing / Water & Building Regulations - Gas Safe Mandatory Registration - the mandatory registering of installed Gas Appliances / Heat producing fixtures [e.g. Unvented Hot Water Cylinders etc.] would be more than comparable with similar in the Electrical Trade.

That is taking into consideration what I am guessing is required to be an Electrician working in both the Commercial / Industrial & Domestic areas of the Industry - as the Heating Engineer, Gas Engineer & Plumber has to be fully conversant with the knowledge, regulations, registrations and admin for what is really 3 Trades.

I do have what I and others would consider to be a good sense of humour and I like to engage in Banter at almost every opportunity when in light hearted conversation.

I am definitely not adverse to it on this Forum if I can recognise it - but perhaps because I write very long explanations about what I am asking when I then receive replies which are worded as if the respondent has not read anything that I previously described I wonder whether they are on a wind up / deliberately trying to cause me to write a response reiterating everything that I previously wrote ?

Chris

Hello again Tuxornot,

Thanks for your message.

I know exactly what You mean when you describe an Electricians Trade as not being easy - dealing with Regulations, Customers, other Trades, Admin, Competent Persons Schemes, LABC etc.

I have been a Plumber, Heating Engineer & Gas Engineer for over 53 Years and have had to deal with all of the above including Gas Safe Mandatory Registration, Gas Safety Regulations, Water Supply Regulations / Bylaws, Building Regulations etc.

Without wanting to contradict your assessment that of all Trades the Electrical Trade is the hardest:

I would guess that the Heating Engineer / Gas Engineer / Plumber`s required knowledge and adherence to - Gas Safety, Plumbing / Water & Building Regulations - Gas Safe Mandatory Registration - the mandatory registering of installed Gas Appliances / Heat producing fixtures [e.g. Unvented Hot Water Cylinders etc.] would be more than comparable with similar in the Electrical Trade.

That is taking into consideration what I am guessing is required to be an Electrician working in both the Commercial / Industrial & Domestic areas of the Industry - as the Heating Engineer, Gas Engineer & Plumber has to be fully conversant with the knowledge, regulations, registrations and admin for what is really 3 Trades.

I do have what I and others would consider to be a good sense of humour and I like to engage in Banter at almost every opportunity when in light hearted conversation.

I am definitely not adverse to it on this Forum if I can recognise it - but perhaps because I write very long explanations about what I am asking when I then receive replies which are worded as if the respondent has not read anything that I previously described I wonder whether they are on a wind up / deliberately trying to cause me to write a response reiterating everything that I previously wrote ?

Chris

Well thank you for a very interesting post, wasn't too long and got your own view over clearly. My views on electricians as a trade being a tough one is based on my own experience but we all have our own personal view, at the end of the day what ever we do / did do as a job, its to make a living.

As they say no one knows until you walk in their shoes or something like that. ( Thats not a surrender, its an olive branch, puns intended )

I do have some understanding of what you plumbing / gas fitter lads have to deal with, one of my friends is a gas fitter and on the day he was moving my gas pipe his scam pulled him in, spot check I think, out of the blue, no reason, maybe some one was bored in the office day, who knows but it caused endless worry. Now he had to make a few calls so took his eyes off his trainee who was routing the pipe and fixing clips, only took his eye off him for a few minutes but in that time his trainee managed to drill into a marked safe zone and clipped a cable, not a problem because I just replaced that leg of the ring and re tested it then made good.

These things happen its life end off, but it reinforces my desire to petition government to make it legal to stamp on an apprentice from time to time, just for fun, because we can and should :)

--

Reply to Gluing alarm cables to UPVC Window frames & Door architraves in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock