Discuss Going back down from Approved to Domestic ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to see what you lovely lot think....Hubby has had the same assessor for a few years now for approved contractor but to be honest they do not seem to click....hubby is really outgoing chap and never not known him to not get on with anyone....to be honest i find it really hard to click with this guy too when i am there for the assessment for paperwork etc.... It has got to the stage where hubby is looking to drop the Approved back down to domestic....our ratio is about 80% domestic anyhow...(we have mentioned all this to the governing body and the assessor for the past few years but its always him that does the assessment and talking to them again today apart from him there is not much option for the area we live in....

Have any of you gone back to just domestic and if so how have you found it....we have found this year has been our best year of trading based month vs the same month for the last 15 years....

Many thanks
Nicky
:hair:

Dig in and stick with it. Far better to be an approved contractor than Part P. As long as you are doing things right and work is up to standard he will move on. They usually do after 4 or 5 years. I have been with the NIC since 1989 as an approved contractor, and some inspectors have had, have no real idea of the real world, but i have to say they are few and far between. It is really messy with Part P and the rubbish which is out there, but dig in and assuming you are a small one man/woman band the worst scenario is 1/2 a day with someone you don't get on with per year. Not that bad is it ?, for the doors Approved Contractor can open.

Its so funny this has been posted, have been thinking alot about this lately

Im in the same boat, seriously considering dropping approved status this year

just dont need the extra hassel nowadays

And personally im fed up with keep getting stung with the 'exceptional extra half day' additional assessment charge of £290+vat every year

even though im a one man band and all my work is within 15 miles from my house!

I am very tempted to join stroma this year, they seem to be getting ever more popular, and would save me about £600 a year :)

Last edited:

Reply to Going back down from Approved to Domestic ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net