Discuss Got an ex council house to rewire in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Got an ex council house to rewire. Sockets are straight forward and will be doing it in T&E
But the lighting is done in singles 6241y. And I want to do the same. I have rolls of conduit wiring on the van, but not sure if this is suitable for slotting down plasterboard soothing walls or popping through the existing holes in the joists.
Sould I bite the bullet and use the pvc/pvc 6241y or use t&e

Got an ex council house to rewire. Sockets are straight forward and will be doing it in T&E
But the lighting is done in singles 6241y. And I want to do the same. I have rolls of conduit wiring on the van, but not sure if this is suitable for slotting down plasterboard soothing walls or popping through the existing holes in the joists.
Sould I bite the bullet and use the pvc/pvc 6241y or use t&e
Agree with ANDY78

He does mention conduit wiring.

Yes, when I re-read the original post, it is not clear if he wants to use unsheathed conduit wiring, or this sheathed 6241Y. I was assuming the OP knows the difference between the two, and that unsheathed cables must be contained.

Personally I can't see why you'd not just use T&E, unless of course you happened to have a van load of something else that you wanted to use up!

6241y? Meaning singles-and-earth?
Are you sure it needs rewired? Should still be in ok condition.
The main problem with that is, even though it's in good nick, positioning and number of points required. We all know the number of sockets, especially, that are required these days compared to days of old. Additions to a domestic conduit system can be a real ball ache, whichever method you're going to use.

What's your job @Paul228 ? I'm genuinely interested as a number of people ask questions like this, i.e. doing a major electrical job but asking a very basic question. You wouldn't be a domestic installer (like myself) as we don't learn anything about singles or 6241y so that wouldn't be your go to choice. It seems unlikely you are an electrician as you wouldn't consider putting singles through a joist hole or behind plasterboard, but you have a load of 'conduit wiring'. Were you maybe an industrial electrician? Although in industrial I'm guessing you'd still have to enclose singles!

Reply to Got an ex council house to rewire in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net