Discuss Had to convert to TT and install RCD - need to test? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

danmarc

Hi all,

I recently did some work at a property that had no main earthing conductor, however the installation was using the water pipes as the main earth path, so i immediately installed an earth rod, converting the system to TT.

The consumer unit is an old rewirable with the shed circuit rammed in with the shower circuit, pretty dodgy really, should I advise the client to change the consumer unit to a split board RCD and test all circuits, or would a 100ma main switch be sufficient with this install, if so, would I need to test only the main RCD on completion? Is a certificate required for the installation of the main RCD?

I appreciate all your suggestions

Thanks

Difficult to give 100% answer without seeing state of the existing, but if it looks a bit shabby, I'd definitely test the install before removing the old board, as a stand alone job, otherwise neither you or the client knows what will be involved when changing the CU, (no cpc continuity, rubbish IR, N/E faults are all worms in a can)

^^^ what he said. You also need to think about what will happen when you fit 30mA RCD's to the socket outlets....

Your second call, on this installation, should have been to the DNO, to ascertain whether a PME connection is available on the suppliers distribution cable...

Reply to Had to convert to TT and install RCD - need to test? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

The earthing arrangement where the hot tub will be installed is formed in the TN-C-S system. I want to install the sub-main distribution circuit...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, I have 7 static caravans to connect which need to be connected via TT 1. All the vans have a 30ma RCD main switch internally...
Replies
Views
Hello Need to replace a distribution board in the next few weeks to allow for more circuits to be installed in January. Existing is a TT system...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, Long time member and not a regular user here. I do pop in here when the odd unknown pop's up and unable to locate an electrical dilemma...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I wondered if anyone could help me with something that has been niggling me please?! When a Solar PV feed in circuit is installed...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock