Discuss Heat pump install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey, Just a question for a heat pump install. Heat pump unit is 60 amps. Backup in tank heater for hydronic heating is 24 kW. Just don't know if the 200 amp service will be enough for the heating load? Any advice on service calculation on this particular setup?

Is that 24 KWr or KWe? Two completely different things. KWr is refrigerated KiloWatts and KWe is your Power Kilowats... have a look at the manufacturing Specs on the Heat Pump.

Is that 24 KWr or KWe? Two completely different things. KWr is refrigerated KiloWatts and KWe is your Power Kilowats... have a look at the manufacturing Specs on the Heat Pump.
The backup are heating elements in the hydronic tank. So it would have to be kWe because it wouldn’t be refrigerated.

Heat pumps I deal with use refrigerant for Heating ie R401a or R32. If your Heat pump uses elements rated at 24 KW, God help your electricity bill. I assume your Home is split phase? 220V? Look on the decal plate on the pump for current rating at 220v

Heat pumps I deal with use refrigerant for Heating ie R401a or R32. If your Heat pump uses elements rated at 24 KW, God help your electricity bill. I assume your Home is split phase? 220V? Look on the decal plate on the pump for current rating at 220v
Heat pump max current is 28.6 amps at 220v. Sorry I probably should explain a little better. The heat pump will be air to water for hydronic heating. Heat pump heats up the glycol tank. Where it will be installed the weather can get to -30C for a couple days a year. Heat pump shuts down at -25. Glycol tank has 6x4 kW elements for backup in case the heat pump can’t keep up or after -25 when the heat pump shuts off. So those few days a year the electricity will be stupid high but only for a couple days.

28.6 amps max current seems to be normal. With a 200amp service supply fuse. I would check your existing current loading on your home. I’m assuming you have an existing heating system. Look at what size breaker is supplying that. I don’t want to state the obvious but make sure your pipes are lagged and have heat tracing to prevent the pipes from freezing.

Hey, Just a question for a heat pump install. Heat pump unit is 60 amps. Backup in tank heater for hydronic heating is 24 kW. Just don't know if the 200 amp service will be enough for the heating load? Any advice on service calculation on this particular setup?
Kylbees welcome to the forum and yes your panel can hold the load the load their giving on the instructions Is max load to size you breaker. In real life it probably wouldn’t pull over 35 amps at most and that’s only when the heating elements kick in after the water temperature setting is met the elements cut off

Reply to Heat pump install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock