Discuss heating control pumps in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That's right, you can get a 3 pole relay & base.
Each pole has a common, normally closed and a normally open contact.

The coil when energised switches all 3 contacts together.

cheers mate I,ll bring all that info away and try it and I,ll let you know how I got on
That's right, you can get a 3 pole relay & base.
Each pole has a common, normally closed and a normally open contact.

The coil when energised switches all 3 contacts together.

and is that wired by a direct feed to the time clock,then a stat wire from the main bedroom to the timeclock and then a 4 core to the boiler from the timeclock?off the subject here but my mates trip keeps going off,what would the problem be,fault?

the way I wired mine is a feed to time clock then I run a four core to a wiring centre in the hot press this is up to the motorised valves to tell the CH1,CH2 and hot water to come on and of course not forgettin the wire from the wiring centre to each roomstat and the stat on the cycinder
and is that wired by a direct feed to the time clock,then a stat wire from the main bedroom to the timeclock and then a 4 core to the boiler from the timeclock?off the subject here but my mates trip keeps going off,what would the problem be,fault?

I've managed in power point then saved as jpeg as Jason sugested.

As you can see when ch1 or ch2 are demanding both pumps are on.
If HW demands only pump2 is on unless one of the heating channells are calling.

I hope this is clear

Attachments

• heating control pumps 2 Pumps - EletriciansForums.net
    2 Pumps.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Your friends tripping fault could be anything is the trip going off all the time or just some times if it is going off all the time turn off all the mcb's and turn them off one at a time that will tell you what circuit it is on and then itis just a case of further investagation but if it is only going off some times it can be a bugger to find
the way I wired mine is a feed to time clock then I run a four core to a wiring centre in the hot press this is up to the motorised valves to tell the CH1,CH2 and hot water to come on and of course not forgettin the wire from the wiring centre to each roomstat and the stat on the cycinder

thanks vbyrne, i checked the house with the rcd tripping and im pretty sure it was a faulty tumble dryer,i dont think appliances should be on the trip side off a board anyway,due to nuisance tripping..

thanks vbyrne, i checked the house with the rcd tripping and im pretty sure it was a faulty tumble dryer,i dont think appliances should be on the trip side off a board anyway,due to nuisance tripping..
you are totally right I have had my fair share of tripping faults I had this one if anybody could throw some light on it I had a 5 amp breaker feeding a lighting circuit and every time I switched the lights on it blew the trip what was doing it was I had a 230v downlighter in a plasterboard ceiling with a metal frame supporting the ceiling and where one of the lights were it was touching a piece of the metal frame and blowing the trip I moved the light away from the metal and everything was fine.I think the light must have been give out a small voltage and the metal strip must have been acting as an earth causing an imbalance:confused:anybody. By the way thanks for that drawing it was really helpful

On looking at my drawing you only need a 2 pole relay.
I've re-done it as attached.
Bit rushed but I think it's clear.

Attachments

• heating control pumps Presentation2 - EletriciansForums.net
    Presentation2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 15
On looking at my drawing you only need a 2 pole relay.
I've re-done it as attached.
Bit rushed but I think it's clear.
andy looking at your drawing again you havent put the stat on the back boiler Im just ponting this out just in case we get a back feed when the stat calls for pump #2 to come on so just to go through it again to have it clear in our heads two pumps on with ch1 and ch2 and the oil fired boiler pump #1 on with hw and the oil fired boiler pump #2to come on when the stat at the BACK boiler calls but that pump on only no back feeds to oil fired boiler or pump #1

andy looking at your drawing again you havent put the stat on the back boiler Im just ponting this out just in case we get a back feed when the stat calls for pump #2 to come on so just to go through it again to have it clear in our heads two pumps on with ch1 and ch2 and the oil fired boiler pump #1 on with hw and the oil fired boiler pump #2to come on when the stat at the BACK boiler calls but that pump on only no back feeds to oil fired boiler or pump #1

Sorry vbryne, that has not cleared anything up.
Can you confirm that there is a total of 2 pumps on the system. Both to come on when ch1 or ch2 are demanding, but only one to come on when hot water only is demanding.

That is what I have drawn. For ease in understanding I have omitted other controls so that when my drawing says ch1 or hw this is the signnal from the zone valve after the programmer and any stats.

In my drawing pump 2 comes on with hw only, you can swap pump1 & pump2 if you want.

Sorry vbryne, that has not cleared anything up.
Can you confirm that there is a total of 2 pumps on the system. Both to come on when ch1 or ch2 are demanding, but only one to come on when hot water only is demanding.

That is what I have drawn. For ease in understanding I have omitted other controls so that when my drawing says ch1 or hw this is the signnal from the zone valve after the programmer and any stats.

In my drawing pump 2 comes on with hw only, you can swap pump1 & pump2 if you want.
andy I tried this to day and every time the back burner called for the pump to come on it brought the oil pump on as well.It could be that I am doing the final connection wrong but it is all ways finding a path back to turn on the oil pump. Could you explain to me what is seperating these two pumps from coming on

vbyrne

I thought both pumps were circulating pumps.
Can you do a basic drawing of your layout and post it so that I can see whats needed.

Is P1 an oil feed pump or a hot water circulating pump?

Are we saying that we have a back-boiler serving a heating system and an oil-fired boiler heating the hot-water?

Do we have a cylinder stat?

How many room stats?

Why do we have a CH1 and CH2 as they both appear to do the same?

How many motorised valves (MVs) do we have?

Is the cylinder twin coil indirect?

Is P1 an oil feed pump or a hot water circulating pump?p1 is the pump that pumps the hot water from the oil fired burner

Are we saying that we have a back-boiler serving a heating system and an oil-fired boiler heating the hot-water?the oil fir

Do we have a cylinder stat?

How many room stats?

Why do we have a CH1 and CH2 as they both appear to do the same?

How many motorised valves (MVs) do we have?

Is the cylinder twin coil indirect?
Is P1 an oil feed pump or a hot water circulating pump?oil feed pump

Are we saying that we have a back-boiler serving a heating system and an oil-fired boiler heating the hot-water?no we just have two sources of heat heating the water for both the hot water and the central heating

Do we have a cylinder stat?yes

How many room stats?one upstairs ch2 and one downstairs ch1

Why do we have a CH1 and CH2 as they both appear to do the same?ch 1 downstairs heating ch 2 up-stairs heating

How many motorised valves (MVs) do we have?2 on the up and down stairs rads

Is the cylinder twin coil indirect?the way this system works is if the oil fired heating is on it fills the cyclinder with hot water then if ch 1 or ch2 is called for the water in the cyclinder is pumped straight to the rads and the boiler making hot water replaces the hot water in the cyclinder same if hw is called for on the cyclinder if the back boiler is lit which is a all fuel burner there is a stat on the return of that fire and when it calls it turns on pump 2 on to dump any access hot water out of the cyclinder

I hope silvafox I have answered all your questions I have so far over here had three different sparks looking at this and none of them could get it working properly it would be great if some one on the forum could solve this one:)

Last edited:
Plunber Should have used motorised valves,has he allowed for this in his cost.Dont make your life difficult wire for 2 2 port system.

Plunber Should have used motorised valves,has he allowed for this in his cost.Dont make your life difficult wire for 2 2 port system.
he has used 2 2port valves one for the heating up-stairs and one for the down stairs rads he didn't put one on the hot water as usual but there is a high limit stat on in its place

You need a hot water valve.A room stat upstairs and one downstairs.Do it this way its the easiest.Dont make your life difficult ,in the end it all boils down to cost.Hes trying to save money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to heating control pumps in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock