Discuss Help! RCD protection of circuits in bathrooms in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

adasadas

Ive just wired an extractor fan and pump into the lighting circuit of a bathroom and put an RCD Fuse connection unit in line on the whole circuit, lights and all; the consumer unit in the house is one of the old Wylex fuse ones and I thought that was the easier option rather than trying to put an RCD in line down at the consumer unit. Is this the correct approach?

I've got another bathroom job coming up where I will be installing an extractor and building a cupboard to contain washing machine and tumble dryer. I am also going to change the lights over to IP 65 downlighters.

Do I need to protect the lights in this example with RCD, or can I just use an RCD FCU as an isolator for the fan?

Is it OK to put an RCD protected socket in the cupboard to feed the washing machine, spurred from the ring main? It will be in Zone 2.

Sorry to be so bewildered, but Im a builder who recently completed Part P, have the 17th edition book and am booked for both course and Elecsa assessment, and find some of it a bit confusing...

hi mate welcome to the forum,

in reply to the first section; are you saying that you have taken a feed off the lighting circuit into a RCD FC/Unit, where you supply fan and pump? little confusing. (you say lights and all?)

its good that your putting the RCD in etc however its all peronal preferencebut ive always tended to supply pumps off a socket circuit via RCD (if not present at the consumer unit)

on the next section; if your doing work in the other bathroom id be inclined to put it all on the rcd just for safetys sake, i dont think the regs allow a socket in this zone, think you need to be 3metres away from zone 1. so you mayneed to rethinink this bit (someone will clarify if im right or wrong in due course)

hope this is of some help and good luck

PS have you also checkd the main equipotential bonding is up to scratch as well (hows that shakey, said all the proper words and everything!! lol)

rich

Thanks for the reply Sparks...

The house was wired some twenty years ago, and rather than there being a permenant feed in the bathroom ceiling, there was a junction box up in the loft where all the light circuits and switch lines ran from for the rooms on that lighting circuit; old style lighting wiring I believe?

So I picked up a feed in the junction box for my bathroom, and ran all new cables for lights, pump and fan from this point, interupting the entire circuit with a RCD FC unit in the wall outside the bathroom...it effectively isolates and RCD protects all electrical equipment in that room...in the mean time there is a triple pole isolator on the fan and a switched FCU on the pump. Probably overkill, but hell, Im learning and happy to be laughed at.

Do I need to repeat this RCD protection of all electrics in my next bathroom?

With the cupboard and washing machine supply, if I put a cable outlet rather than RCD Socket in the wall, and put an RCD FCU in line outside the room, would that be OK?

So far Ive only installed plenty of supplementary bonding...no checked the Main Equipotential bonding yet

Last edited by a moderator:
PS have you also checkd the main equipotential bonding is up to scratch as well (hows that shakey, said all the proper words and everything!! lol)

rich

our time is not wasted:D:D

Reply to Help! RCD protection of circuits in bathrooms in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock