Discuss Help with our debate please on eicr Coding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Post a photo of said casing.
Impossible to say without seeing.
Anyhow, it's the person who is putting their name to the report who calls it.

more a C1 isn't it? water and electricity are very dangerous obviously.
[automerge]1593135155[/automerge]
babble = why don't electric showers just use selv to control a heating element 230v or whatever outside Zone 1 and water just flow through pipe to Zone 1 - shower head - babble off.

Last edited:
The shower isn’t part of fixed wiring. It’s an appliance. No code, Just comment on it that it’s dangerous.
That’s like saying a cracked socket isn’t part of the fixed wiring so don’t code it.
The shower needs coding if it’s damaged or the IP rating is compromised

more a C1 isn't it? water and electricity are very dangerous obviously.

It is only a C1 if it is immediately dangerous, so if the crack is big enough to get your fingers in and you can touch live parts if you do so.

If the crack is small/hairline then it is not immediately dangerous but has the potential to be dangerous, so could be a C2.

Thanks for all your helps guys. Unfortunately I don't have a picture but I have put it as a c2 as it's not big enough to fit anything but could easily get water ingress.
Thank you all

Here's my 'lovely' shower - rented accommodation.
Help with our debate please on eicr Coding IMG_1220.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Out of curiosity, to code or not too code? (without taking cover off)?

Yes you can easily get your finger(s) in there, but unable to touch anything metal or electrical. Part missing, I believe is access cover for top feed water pipe.

Here's my 'lovely' shower - rented accommodation.
View attachment 59042

Out of curiosity, to code or not too code? (without taking cover off)?

Yes you can easily get your finger(s) in there, but unable to touch anything metal or electrical. Part missing, I believe is access cover for top feed water pipe.

The IP ratings are based on if you can get your fingers in a certain distance in terms of coming into contact with live/primary insulation, (IP2x) but as it needs to be 4x it's actually 1mm diameter and of any length, 3x would be 2.5mm again of any length. The question is does it meet IPx4? - water ingress is the issue not finger access.

Same with the OP, it all depends on the crack but if small and closed-up, it probably meets x4 which is less than x7 ( if in zone 0) so likely C2 (only if in zone 0), if the enclosure is in zone 1 which is x4 then no code, but I would note the damage however indicating that if the crack gets worse it may fail to meet IPx4.

If it's a larger crack allowing moisture in in a way to create harmful effects then as it wouldn't meet x4 it would again be a C2

Reply to Help with our debate please on eicr Coding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock