Discuss Help with Oven Circuit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

makken

Have an existing oven circuit 6mm2 twin & earth from the consumer protected by a 32a mcb goes to a cooker control switch, then 6mm2 from the switch was hardwired in to previous oven. Just bought a brand new oven (single oven that fits in cupboard under worktop) specifications are 2.3kW total electric consumption, max cable length 2m, it specifies for the cable type 3 x 1.5mm2 or equivalent.
Is it ok to wire this one the same 6mm2 straight in to the back of the oven?

16A. If the oven has a plugtop on it, you could just terminate the old 6mm to the cooker into a single socket, thus leaving the circuit and fuseboard intact, as well as the oven, as the 13a fuse in the plugtop will provide the protection.

The breaker should be fine for that cable, 32A on 6mm is basically usual for cookers.
Your cooker is a low load since it is just an oven and so long as the connectors on the oven are big enough to take 6mm you should be fine.

Thanks for the quick replies, what size breaker should i size down to?.

For a total load of 2.3 kw, without diversity you could use a 10A MCB.
What does it say in the instruction manual?
If you leave too high a circuit breaker in place, then the oven won't be protected should a fault occur.

For a total load of 2.3 kw, without diversity you could use a 10A MCB.
What does it say in the instruction manual?
If you leave too high a circuit breaker in place, then the oven won't be protected should a fault occur.
Remember that the MCB protects the cable not the appliance.

Remember that the MCB protects the cable not the appliance.

I agree except that he's been told to use 3x 1.5mm cable to connect the oven. If he can't get the 6mm into the oven connections, should we not also protect this bit of the cable too?

BUT.... You could argue that if you hard wire a 1.5mm2 flex into a cooker switch/outlet, then this is part of the circuit so a lower rated MCb will be required to protect the Cable not the appliance

I agree except that he's been told to use 3x 1.5mm cable to connect the oven. If he can't get the 6mm into the oven connections, should we not also protect this bit of the cable too?

The OP asked if the 6mm could go directly into the oven, the 3x1.5mm is the recommended minimum cable size and was not in this case intended to be used.

The circuit terminates at the outlet plate.

Thereafter follow MFI and the appliance, its cables and components will be protected by its own fuses/trips etc

The circuit terminates at the outlet plate.

Thereafter follow MFI and the appliance, its cables and components will be protected by its own fuses/trips etc

The ovens that I have installed over the years have all stated a size for the MCB based on the load of the unit, this has generally been either 16 or 20Amps.
I am in complete agreement that he should check with the MFI.

The ovens that I have installed over the years have all stated a size for the MCB based on the load of the unit, this has generally been either 16 or 20Amps.
I am in complete agreement that he should check with the MFI.
I would agree the manufacturers may well have specified a different requirement, with which compliance would be required.

I would have thought most ovens could run on a 16/20A breaker.

However I think we have now lost the OP.

You are wrong.

MCB size is based purely and simply on cable size and installation method.

Sorry to be so arrogant. (Also cant spell)

Reply to Help with Oven Circuit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock