Discuss Help with Oven Circuit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

its fine on 6mm as somone said a minimum of 1.5mm required , you could change the breaker if makes you feel better, just make sure its zs vale is sexy

You are wrong.

MCB size is based purely and simply on cable size and installation method.

Sorry to be so arrogant. (Also cant spell)

Totally agree mate.
However, if the Manufacturers Instructions state an MCB size, then as long as it will also protect the cable, the MI should be adhered to.

The exact technical data according to the manual, Voltage 220-240V 50Hz, Total Electric Consumption 2.3kW, Fuse Protection min. 13A, Cable Type/cross Section H05VV-FG 3 x 1.5 mm2 or equivalent, Cable Length 2m. Also states to a double pole control unit with a minimum contact clearance of 3mm in all poles and further stated that Additional protection by a residual current circuit breaker is recommended.

When the manufacturers manual states 1.5mm2 cable, does that mean 1.5mm2 from the consumer unit as most existing cooker circuits are surely going to be wired in 6mm2 (as mine is) or 10mm2.

Should it be wired on the rcd protected side of the consumer?

Anyway i couldn't get the 6mm2 in the cooker terminals so i rewired from the cooker switch in 2.5mm2, so the current circuit is 32a breaker (not on the rcd protected side), 6mm2 T+E to double pole cooker switch (not plug socket type) then 2.5mm2 from cooker switch to cooker terminals.

Could someone clarify if my current circuit is ok and if not what would be the ideal circuit given the specifications i have given.

For me I would fuse down to protect the smallest cable. We could go on about unfused spurs and minimum distances etc however where is the cable most likely to receive mechanical and damage through external influences?

As it is a dedicated circuit for one appliance (any socket on the cooker switch?) I would go with 16A MCB (20A if socket fitted). Seems strange they have stated a minimum fuse size but no maximum???

You have to protect the cable, so 32a is okay for the 6mm but it wont protect 1.5mm

Check your current carrying capacity tables in the regs to see which mcb is suitable.

Yeah they state the minimum fuse size, and then you have to select the cable to suit.

Personally I would go into the oven with 3 core 2.5mm flex, heat resistant stuff would be great to use as well.
Then I'd change the mcb for a 20A one.

Hmmm, there seems to be varied opinions on what one would do, would i be right in assuming there are different ways to do this and still have a perfectly safe circuit, also what about the manual stating additional protection with an rcd.

The exact technical data according to the manual, Voltage 220-240V 50Hz, Total Electric Consumption 2.3kW, Fuse Protection min. 13A, Cable Type/cross Section H05VV-FG 3 x 1.5 mm2 or equivalent, Cable Length 2m. Also states to a double pole control unit with a minimum contact clearance of 3mm in all poles and further stated that Additional protection by a residual current circuit breaker is recommended.

When the manufacturers manual states 1.5mm2 cable, does that mean 1.5mm2 from the consumer unit as most existing cooker circuits are surely going to be wired in 6mm2 (as mine is) or 10mm2. This is specifying the cable from the fixed wiring to the cooker, the one specified is a 3 core flex. Run from the CU would cause problems with the 2m limit, they are trying to ensure that the cable will not over heat.

Should it be wired on the rcd protected side of the consumer? Since the manufacturers recommend it then it should be RCD protected, there may be other requirements in the wiring regulations that mean an RCD must be present, but this would get beyond a simple cooker replacement and start to involve the requirements of the Building regulations, testing and certification of the work and notifying building control as well.

Anyway i couldn't get the 6mm2 in the cooker terminals so i rewired from the cooker switch in 2.5mm2, so the current circuit is 32a breaker (not on the rcd protected side), 6mm2 T+E to double pole cooker switch (not plug socket type) then 2.5mm2 from cooker switch to cooker terminals.

Could someone clarify if my current circuit is ok and if not what would be the ideal circuit given the specifications i have given. An ideal circuit would be a 2.5mm2 twin and earth cable run direct from a 16A RCBO in the CU to a double pole switch (whether fused at 13A or not) and from the double pole switch to the cooker in HO5VV-F flex at either 1.5mm or 2.5mm.
See my comments in your quote above.
As Cbw says the fixed wiring is up to the outlet point so theoretically your circuit is suitable so long as all other requirements for the load / wiring regulations are maintained.
As said above you could fuse down to 13 at/ in place of/ just after the Cooker switch.

The cooker switch meets the 3mm contact gap requirement, as would a double pole FCU.

Please remember that since we have not seen the installation, instruction manual or cooker in reality, we can only give information based on what you have said and the information we give may not be correct.

Just one thing though, you say an ideal circuit would be 2.5mm2 t+e from CU but in my case it already has 6mm2 (which i would prefer in case of any future changes), so given that i,m stuck with the 6mm2 if i change to a 16a rcbo at the consumer and stick with the rest of the circuit as it is or would i be better putting a 13a fused unit after the cooker switch?.
Forgot to mention the kitchen is being renovated at the moment and we are using the new cooker on the existing circuit but we will be installing one of those 45a control switch/ plug socket combination units, will that change things other than having to protect it on the rcd side of the CU.

I am sorry to say this but the changes you now mention move into the realms of full electrical installation and modifying circuits / cables at both the CU and the Kitchen and this is where further risks come in, the circuit should be designed safely and the requirements of Part P of the building regulations must be met.

The initial query has now moved beyond the point where I feel comfortable supplying any further technical information.

Good luck with the renovation, make sure you are doing this safely and legally, I will now bow out.

I am sorry to say this but the changes you now mention move into the realms of full electrical installation and modifying circuits / cables at both the CU and the Kitchen and this is where further risks come in, the circuit should be designed safely and the requirements of Part P of the building regulations must be met.

The initial query has now moved beyond the point where I feel comfortable supplying any further technical information.

Good luck with the renovation, make sure you are doing this safely and legally, I will now bow out.

Exactly RB. That's why I have asked if the OP is part P registered, as this is more than a like-for-like change.

Personaly i'd keep the existing cooker circuit as it is and add a 13a switch fused connection unit inbetween the outgoing side of the cooker switch and the oven.....only my personal preference though. The 32a Mcb will need to be changed for a rcbo or preferabley move it across onto the rcd side of the consumer unit.

If your haveing the kitchen renovated and this involves any new socket's/built in appliance points etc the best advice i can give is to discuss all this with the Electrician doing kitchen circuit alterations you have booked in already.

Many thanks, i appreciate all the help very much considering its my first time on the forum, in answer to the above am i part p registered the answer is no to be honest, i'm a fully qualified plumber with a general understanding of electrics in domestic dwellings and have just started studying part p with the intention of being competent in the near future, however my mate is a fully qualified electrician who works for the local council and whilst i usually go to him with any queries and small jobs that he normally does for me he is currently away on holiday hence my coming to this forum.

Personaly i'd keep the existing cooker circuit as it is and add a 13a switch fused connection unit inbetween the outgoing side of the cooker switch and the oven.....only my personal preference though. The 32a Mcb will need to be changed for a rcbo or preferabley move it across onto the rcd side of the consumer unit.

Thanks that is what i had in mind

is the advice on the instructions saying 3 1.5mm cables designed for the european countries im sure read it somewhere

We had a rather long discussion on this a while ago (beko hobs/ovens), and the consensus was that some of these appliances were originally designed for 3 phase use (not UK), as well as single phase hence the 3X cabling requirement.

Many thanks, i appreciate all the help very much considering its my first time on the forum, in answer to the above am i part p registered the answer is no to be honest, i'm a fully qualified plumber with a general understanding of electrics in domestic dwellings and have just started studying part p with the intention of being competent in the near future, however my mate is a fully qualified electrician who works for the local council and whilst i usually go to him with any queries and small jobs that he normally does for me he is currently away on holiday hence my coming to this forum.

I wish you all the best then mate.
As said earlier, this will be a notifiable job, but don't assume that someone is part P registered simply because they are fully qualified.

Reply to Help with Oven Circuit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock