Discuss help with rcd problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So leaving the circuit unsafe is a better option is it? At least the RCD is present and can be tested and certified as such.
1) the RCDs dont work with the circuit connected
2) whoos to say that just putting the offending circuit on an RCBO will give THAT circuit additional protection?....the RCBO may not work due to THAT circuit being fed from it....so how does that comply?!!

1) the RCDs dont work with the circuit connected
2) whoos to say that just putting the offending circuit on an RCBO will give THAT circuit additional protection?....the RCBO may not work due to THAT circuit being fed from it....so how does that comply?!!

It doesn't the point was it would need to be tested, if it failed back to square one, if it passed yippee lol.
J

i tested at various points throughout the house and the result was always the same with the lighting circuit connected they wont trip.
as you say i know that memshield 2 rcbos wont trip properly up close

I have had a think about Marks problem and have now come to the conclusion he doesn't have a problem :smile5:

With this subject of test procedure in mind
I am aware the test procedure doesn't recommend for circuit loads to be catered for in the test

I have just read the contents of this link,which was found on the IET forum, it seems to give the reasons for no load testing of an Rcd, for anyone interested the conclusion at the end sums it up
http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/rcd_research/TaskAEffect of Load.pdf

ah interesting
have to say ran auto test so fail at 0deg didnt try 180
however did try x5 manual 0deg

why do you ask
I suspect it's what Des was alluding to earlier with DC saturation. That would only affect one side of the waveform. If it works on one half but not the other then I'd suspect a combination of what Des and spark1973 (possible faulty dimmer/wiring issue (to explain the poor IR)) said earlier.

Edit: In case that's not clear it would need to be a faulty dimmer/switch and the wiring fault (to allow DC from a transformer into the circuit).

Last edited:
I suspect it's what Des was alluding to earlier with DC saturation. That would only affect one side of the waveform. If it works on one half but not the other then I'd suspect a combination of what Des and spark1973 (possible faulty dimmer/wiring issue (to explain the poor IR)) said earlier.

Edit: In case that's not clear it would need to be a faulty dimmer/switch and the wiring fault (to allow DC from a transformer into the circuit).

ir fine at time of test readings at start of thread

ok so problem solved but not sure how

went back and fitted rcbo to problem circuit and it popped out instantly
when it stayed on long enough it wouldnt trip under test
re tested insulation and there was a n-e dead short 0.0 (this wasnt there before but had suspected intermitant fault)

removed lights and switches and found trapped wire behind light (this light was fitted a long time ago by others)
cleared fault and re tested all ok and rcbo now tripping under test.

can only assume fault was coming and going with expansion and movement in the house in the warmer weather (cant think of any other reason)

so one question remains with no lights turned on and testing at the rcbo why wasnt it tripping under test before the fault was cleared.

Reply to help with rcd problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net