Discuss Hi Everyone! Just thought I would introduce myself! And a Question. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheConduitKing

Trainee
Reaction score
My name is Tim and I have just turned 23. Started my Electrical Apprenticeship in September doing commercial work and I live in Northern Ireland. However, my company only does work in the Republic of Ireland. Currently working down in Dublin. At my local college, my apprenticeship is EAL rather than City and Guilds. As that is what the college offered. (However, they do not tell you this on the website until you start the course.)

EAL Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation in year one.

Then in years 2, 3 and 4 it is the level 3

EAL Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures, and the environment) (QCF) 501/1605/8

I was just wondering what people’s thoughts are on EAL vs City and Guilds. As I have heard mixed opinions. I asked my tutor and he said that it is just as good.

Currently I'm really enjoying my apprenticeship and the guys I work with are sound. I have gotten to do loads so far. Done some metal conduit, 3 phase cabling, Copex and other fun stuff.

looking forward to being an active member on this forum!

My name is Tim and I have just turned 23. Started my Electrical Apprenticeship in September doing commercial work and I live in Northern Ireland. However, my company only does work in the Republic of Ireland. Currently working down in Dublin. At my local college, my apprenticeship is EAL rather than City and Guilds. As that is what the college offered. (However, they do not tell you this on the website until you start the course.)

EAL Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation in year one.

Then in years 2, 3 and 4 it is the level 3

EAL Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures, and the environment) (QCF) 501/1605/8

I was just wondering what people’s thoughts are on EAL vs City and Guilds. As I have heard mixed opinions. I asked my tutor and he said that it is just as good.

Currently I'm really enjoying my apprenticeship and the guys I work with are sound. I have gotten to do loads so far. Done some metal conduit, 3 phase cabling, Copex and other fun stuff.

looking forward to being an active member on this forum!
I did my apprenticeship mainly in Dublin as well and am from Belfast. Enjoyed working there a lot more than I enjoy working here to be honest. As for the course I thought all the colleges here did city and guilds

wow.... all that since september.

When i first started, it was gophering mainly. but then i was one of three apprentices starting that year. not enough jobs going on at the time.

threading metal conduit by hand, or using a machine nowadays?

When I did the 2391 or its equivalent (2394/95), I was told employers prefer C&G as they are closed book which means you have to really know your onions. EAL on the other hand was open book. I think now that has changed and C&G are open book. Some time ago doing that particular exam was notoriously difficult, especially the C&G version and the failure rate was 70%. Apparently that has now been stood on its head and the pass rate especially in local colleges is 70%. Again just what I was told, they have open book exams and split the exam into two parts making it easier.

When I did it 3/4 years ago now it was closed book and was very hard, a lot of the long time time served sparks on my course failed it, eal was open book back then as I remover the people that failed grumbling and looking for the eal course ?‍♂️

When I did 2391-52 in 2019 it was an open book 60 question multi-guess online exam, a short (4 questions?) closed book written exam and a separate practical exam. There was a book of photographs to conduct visual inspections and record your findings as well but I can’t remember if that was done at the same time as the written or the practical exam. It was comwith one of them though.

The provider ran it as a combine C&G/EAL course with their different assignments at the end. One guy out of ten was doing the EAL route and had more exams than those of us doing 2391-52. The consensus of the instructors was 2391-52 is the easier route.

When I did my 2394 it was the C&G version, and the exam requirements were more stringent than the EAL one. Although I think the practical test was the same.
See, I wanted to do C&G I thought at the time serc would be. I didn't even know EAL was a thing. It was a rush job I only got the employer to take me on in the first week of the aecidemic year. And because of Covid class sizes are a lot smaller meaning less places. Originally I wanted to go to SRC as it was closer to me and I knew they did C&G

wow.... all that since september.

When i first started, it was gophering mainly. but then i was one of three apprentices starting that year. not enough jobs going on at the time.

threading metal conduit by hand, or using a machine nowadays?
Yeah mate, loving it. Although I still do loads of gophering :) lifting bundles of 25mm conduit sucks XD.

Yeah, still threading by hand. ?

I took my 18th update (finally!) as an EAL a couple of weeks ago - questions were just as obtuse as C&G so I wouldn't worry!

Reply to Hi Everyone! Just thought I would introduce myself! And a Question. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net