Discuss Home Lounge Lights do not turn ON first time! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CJL

-
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this Forum, so excuse if I do not enter details correctly!
I am hoping a bright spark! can answer my question: basically, I am puzzled by my Home Lounge Lights (not fluorescent). The Lights do not turn ON first time, but always turn ON second time (that is after I turn the Room Light Switch ON, OFF and then back ON again). Lights with memory - how can that be? I attach a couple of photos - typical Room Switch, and typical Light Fitting! The Lights switch OFF first time though.

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

Faulty light switch, maybe..

So.. when you say the first time... the first time in how long? Just curious? For example, if you turn them off and back on again 5 minutes later do they come straight on?

What happens if you turn them on the first time and leave them on for a while?

Just curiosity questions really :)

Good questions SparkyChick. Just tested them - from Cold, the above applies (i.e. Lights only turn ON second time). However, if I leave the lights ON for a few minutes and then turn Switch OFF/ON the lights always come ON.

SparkyChick - on your other question, if I Switch ON first time (from cold) and leave (indefinitely) the Lights still do not come ON.

I know that unit at the top has a transformer in it so there are various connections involved. Maybe a loose one. If I'd been called out to it I'd be taking it down and checking all the terminations and possibly having a feel of the wiring in the switch for loose terminations or possibly even a broken conductor, particularly if it's wired in god awful 1mm.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Thank you, I appreciate your comments & advice. I inherited the fitting and never taken it down to inspect. I shall do that now (and will isolate the mains during that). Thanks again SparkyChick

Sparky chick's idea is the most likely.
Certainly I would suspect the transformer as the point of failure in some way.
Possibly if the bulbs have been changed in the light fitting for higher wattage ones the transformer maybe protecting itself against overload by not operating, then when primed it will operate at a reduced power as part of the inbuilt protection in the transformer.
This could be verified by taking out (when cold) half the light bulbs and seeing if the light comes on first time.

Richard, I think you are onto something! This problem only started when I changed one of the light bulbs! I am sure I replaced the blown bulb with one of the same rating but, I may have been mistaken. I shall check that tomorrow in the daylight (and do as you suggest) and post findings here. Thank you again.
(I am super-impressed by this Forum by the way, great job guys!).

th
Sounds like a good result.
We had some original 1937 bakelite toggles,which would switch,and then 1-5 seconds later,the contact spring would twang,and the lights would come on:)
I found it quite endearing...
thought you were still fitting them in M'CR.

th

thought you were still fitting them in M'CR.

When i was tidying the loft,i found two new ones,Bill i think,round,bakelite jobbies,with square toggles,and tiny BA slotted screws,each side. Still in their little boxes:rolleyes:

Ideal for your stock,Tel,next time you do your maintenance sweep,at Downton Abbey ;)

Reply to Home Lounge Lights do not turn ON first time! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net