Discuss Hospital Emergency Power System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The level of Risk of an electrical supply failure causing harm to Patients and or the Business.

Example,
Loss of power to Car park lighing .

Risk Grade 4. Consequences, low risk of trips and slips.

Loss of power to Operating theatre.

Risk Grade 1. Consequences, high risk of loss of Patient life.

Thank you, makes sense.

So what would mandate multiple ATSs?

Anyone have a single line of an actual UK hospital?

I doubt actual line diagrams of an in service hospital would be available online. However there may be theoretical ones.

It's a bit of a niche subject.

Can you define what you mean by ATS. I presume alternate supply?

I doubt actual line diagrams of an in service hospital would be available online. However there may be theoretical ones.

It's a bit of a niche subject.

Can you define what you mean by ATS. I presume alternate supply?

Nothing government funded? What, the NHS is gov right? Then they should have single lines out there.

ATS= Automatic Transfer Switch

Nothing government funded? What, the NHS is gov right? Then they should have single lines out there.

ATS= Automatic Transfer Switch

They will have single lines out there, but for obvious reasons, detailing supplies for hospitals are not likely to be available to the public.

In the same way military bases, water treatment plants aren't.

They will have single lines out there, but for obvious reasons, detailing supplies for hospitals are not likely to be available to the public.

In the same way military bases, water treatment plants aren't.

In the US disclosure is mandatory if public money is being used in a bid, renovation or to run the facility.

I'd post a link as an example but the forum won't let me saying its spam.

(*edit- never mind, it went through this time)

Why the particular interest in the electrical systems of various countrys' hospitals? Seems a bit specific.

I'm still thinking this may be a wind up.

For those wondering about why I'm spinning my wheels on ATSs and dedicated electrical branches-

The NEC requires that hospitals have their critical loads divided among 3 separate branches.

Life Safety, Critical, and Equipment.

Life safety branch is only for lighting (hallway, egress, stair well, exit sign), door openers, fire alarms and emergency communications systems which aid in the evacuation of a hsopital during a fire.

Critical branch is for patient care receptacles (ie ventilators, cardiac EKG, dialysis), operating rooms, task lighting, hall lighting... anything which is deemed essential for keeping people medically alive and executing tasks related to it.

Equipment branch is for OR HVAC, motors, ventilation, medical gas and vacuum pumps, ect. Any large equipment needed in the bare minimum of patient care.

If the essential power system is 150kva and under code mandates 1 ATS, but if the load is over 150kva you need at least 3 ATSs.

Attachments

• Hospital Emergency Power System Figure 517.31 - EletriciansForums.net
    Figure 517.31.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 8
Why the particular interest in the electrical systems of various countrys' hospitals? Seems a bit specific.

In simple terms each has their own rules, often contradictory to one another lol, and with that evidence as to what is best practice and not best practice come reality.

That and the differences themselves are rather enlightening in electrical theory and the code making process for better and for worse.

I'm still thinking this may be a wind up.

And just to address the specifically- Its not a wind up. Keep thinking that, I'll be laughing when you end up with AFDDs because the messengers knowing of the empty fire extinguisher were all labelled wind ups and trolls.

And just to address the specifically- Its not a wind up. Keep thinking that, I'll be laughing when you end up with AFDDs because the messengers knowing of the empty fire extinguisher were all labelled wind ups and trolls.

If you've read BS7671 then you would know they are already part of our regulations.

Not mandatory yet, and certainly a money making scheme.

If you've read BS7671 then you would know they are already part of our regulations.

Not mandatory yet, and certainly a money making scheme.

I know they are. But its steps away from becoming so. The only reason they were created was because the US does not do loop impedance. UL was researching your breakers and RCDs 30 years ago in hopes of creating the same thing here and behold the AFCI. Now they are being sold to Europe as something new when in reality your system is already an arc detection system. Its so messed up I can't even begin to vent my anger.

Our RCD's and MCB's (Breakers) do not detect arcs.

AFDDs work on entirely different principles.

They most certainly do detect arcs, UL actually proved that. In fact the first AFCI in the us was supposed to be a breaker with a 75amp magnetic pickup, but because of inrush tripping an electronic unit was developed. If you knew the history, you'd be outraged.

I can't see how UK MCBs will detect arcs to be honest
Nor me, if they could the IET wouldn't be trying to sell the idea of AFCIs to us with the 18th Edition, would they??????
Plus there is some about using them on RFCs that's Ring FCs not Radial FCs

Reply to Hospital Emergency Power System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock