Discuss Hospital Emergency Power System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nor me, if they could the IET wouldn't be trying to sell the idea of AFCIs to us with the 18th Edition, would they??????
Plus there is some about using them on RFCs that's Ring FCs not Radial FCs

An AFDD is money secured for the manufacturer. Come time AFDDs will probably have self test logic, meaning they will lock out every X years and require replacement. Already being done with US GFCIs.

AFCIs got into the NEC because manufacturers (like Eaton) bribed the code making panels and UL. They want to and are grdually doing the same with the IEC through committees.

Manufacturers know electrical equipment is near perfected and cheap, I mean what else is capable of lasting 60+ years? But if you require products through mandates, especially products that will require replacement the financial reward is in orders of magnitude greater then before. Investing millions will give you billions, and investing billions will give you trillions. With millions and billions its not hard to cook up a lie one great enough that most everyone will believe.

The UL approved AFCI’s despite not knowing how to test them. They just blindly followed what the manufacturers told them to do. Self test was incorporated from the start.

To add, it’s not in the UL’s remit to randomly test equipment that won’t be compatible with NFPA-NEC codes.

Here is but one of many studies done by UL. This one was so the NEC would allow the first 50 feet of romex (twin and earth) to be protected by a newer US circuit breaker and the rest by a socket AFDD.

Quoted from page 48

As the
empirical analysis had suggested, the statistical analysis concludes that the magnetic trip level needs to
be exceeded by a factor of 1.25 to mitigate the arc within eight half-cycles (Figure 14, left). Furthermore, a
breaker only has a 95% probability of tripping at all during an arcing event if the short-circuit current
equals the magnetic trip level of the circuit breaker. Probability of a breaker trip exceeds 99% only once
the short-circuit current exceeds the magnetic trip level by a factor of 1.25 (since the magnitude of an arc
typically is 80% of the short-circuit current). Therefore, the previous statement about breaker
effectiveness is further qualified by stating that breakers can be effective at mitigating arcing faults,
provided the available fault current can be guaranteed to exceed the magnetic trip level of the circuit

breaker by a factor of 1.25.

You guys already do earth fault loop impedance, (something not mandated by the NEC and unheard of by US sparks), so an arc fault at any point in the circuit will trip your breakers magnetically.

If the fear is that fault current does not exceed 125% of the breaker's magnetic pickup all BS7671 has to do is tweak the loop impedance numbers.

There is simply no need for AFDDs.

And I know someone will say "what about serial arcs" and I will reply AFDDs have little hope with serial arcing for what is another lengthy con saga.

Attachments

• BreakerMitigationofArcFaults.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Dear Cookie, may I suggest you start a new post on the subject of AFDs? It is 'out of sight' to most EF members under the present topic title. That way more EF folk will be able to read and comment on this interesting topic, some of which will have first hand experience of deciding on their use and their effectiveness once installed in different settings. If you do please copy over the Breaker Mitigation report.

I have looked at your contributions regards RCD as AFDD and on the surface it seems a compelling argument that it is true that RCD are AFD devices. The technicalities presented certainly superficially are a revelation and indicate a massive fraud if it is true. I note the report is from the 1980s' and wonder if further work or research has been done on this to your knowledge. A cursory search reveals only info on AFDD info.
I am aware that there was a scenario where a certain manufacturer of termination/joint devices managed to get inserted into BS7671 a requirement for the same to bear the mark MF as in maintenance free. This allowed them to monopolise the market and held back another manufacturer while trying to get the MF mark on their product. Interestingly the former manufacturer sat on the advisory panel for the regs. In fact the JPEL committee members make very interesting reading. Perhaps we should have a register as they do in parliament where you have to declare any interest which may be a conflict of interests for the panel members?

Dear Cookie, may I suggest you start a new post on the subject of AFDs? It is 'out of sight' to most EF members under the present topic title. That way more EF folk will be able to read and comment on this interesting topic, some of which will have first hand experience of deciding on their use and their effectiveness once installed in different settings. If you do please copy over the Breaker Mitigation report.

Will do :)

I have looked at your contributions regards RCD as AFDD and on the surface it seems a compelling argument that it is true that RCD are AFD devices. The technicalities presented certainly superficially are a revelation and indicate a massive fraud if it is true. I note the report is from the 1980s' and wonder if further work or research has been done on this to your knowledge. A cursory search reveals only info on AFDD info.
I am aware that there was a scenario where a certain manufacturer of termination/joint devices managed to get inserted into BS7671 a requirement for the same to bear the mark MF as in maintenance free. This allowed them to monopolise the market and held back another manufacturer while trying to get the MF mark on their product. Interestingly the former manufacturer sat on the advisory panel for the regs. In fact the JPEL committee members make very interesting reading. Perhaps we should have a register as they do in parliament where you have to declare any interest which may be a conflict of interests for the panel members?

Copy and Paste this into the new thread. I will answer it every part of it.

Quixotic in the way you are tilting at windmills. Read large multinational companies conniving to make money at any expense to others with no moral compass guiding their actions. Pharma, vitamins, climate change, fracking, organised religion, palm oil, depleted soil, AFDDs', neon screwdrivers, fused neutrals, the list could go on and on.
There are many people distracted by any of the above issues attempting to make a difference. Hence the term quixotic. Rather akin to attacking an elephant with a pea-shooter. Hopelessly attempting to tame leviathan. It is the human condition and life is too short, there are far more important things to attend to in the brief moment we are here.

Quixotic in the way you are tilting at windmills. Read large multinational companies conniving to make money at any expense to others with no moral compass guiding their actions. Pharma, vitamins, climate change, fracking, organised religion, palm oil, depleted soil, AFDDs', neon screwdrivers, fused neutrals, the list could go on and on.
There are many people distracted by any of the above issues attempting to make a difference. Hence the term quixotic. Rather akin to attacking an elephant with a pea-shooter. Hopelessly attempting to tame leviathan. It is the human condition and life is too short, there are far more important things to attend to in the brief moment we are here.

No see, thats the thing. People choose to remain passive and ignorant on that notion. Until life around them starts getting more and more unfair to the point the masses wish they did something earlier but now realize its to late. Which brings me to my point. One person may not be able to change anything, but an entire populace can certainly effect change. We only let these things happen to us by consent, not knowing we have the power to say no. We have rights, all of us, just that we are never told about them.

Reply to Hospital Emergency Power System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock