Discuss How many LED downlights for my kitchen? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electrical works in a kitchen is notifiable to your labc through part p, installation of 12v lighting is also notifiable

I've rewired the whole house properly and I'm a fully qualified spark. I've tested it. It's all good, no i'm not 2391:yawn:, but know how to test and have years of expeience in testing heavy industrial and domestic installations.

I'm not Part P and am not paying someone else to come and test it and sign it off. Just out of interest- what's to stop me saying it was already like that when i moved in a year ago if anyone asks? What i'll actually do is pay my Part P mate to sign it off, like i'm sure most non Part P sparks do...

I know that you need to be Part P to sign off the work you do in customer's houses, but surely people are legally allowed to do what they want with the electrics in their own houses, even if not qualified?

Afraid not buddy! As for what's to say it wasn't like that a year ago, 1 cable is dated, 2 your labc would have it on record

'Dunno Mr Building Control Man, it was like that when i moved in 2 years ago...'

Anyway, does anyone have any alternatives to downlights for a kitchen?

Thanks.

To be honest, i've never thought much of them either. My wife suggested them and i said no, but a single pendant type fitting isn't enough to light the room.

I was thinking of using one of those ELV 'track' lights where the lights are suspended off of 2 parallel wires (know what i mean?), but the massive transformers look rubbish. I'm open to suggestions as i really can't be aarsed fitting and paying out for LED downlighters anyway. They do look good for when selling the house though as women do love a "spotlight" arrangement in the kitchen...
Yes,Iknow the type and have fitted them.last time was in a farmhouse and they blended in well,the transformers I had out of the way in a store cupboard and switched them via a wall switch,so not too unsightly

But again I will say.the light levels and spread in most kitchens is best achieved with a fluorescent
Women need to be convinced that a kitchen is a workstation not a work of art, with expensive and poor alternative lighting

With the part p fiasco,my mates have never bothered with it and it has never hindered them doing installation in houses
Personally,I don't particularly care if someone is registered or not,its whether they are electricians and doing a job they are skilled at that is important

as a starter, i tend to plan downlights at 3ft apart. this distance gives a decent illumination and gets the fittings bang central between the joists ( assuming 18" spacing ).

and too the modern man, dont go over a 1000mm between lights and 500mm off walls, i did a rare shaped room last week and it ended up every 850mm one way and 900 another to miss any joists.

and if too bright fit 35w bulbs/lamps or leds

i also found dimming leds isnt that good

and too the modern man, dont go over a 1000mm between lights and 500mm off walls, i did a rare shaped room last week and it ended up every 850mm one way and 900 another to miss any joists.

and if too bright fit 35w bulbs/lamps or leds

i also found dimming leds isnt that good

Weird how different people work, always cool too see how differnent sparks work. I wouldn't go further than 1500 between lights and 750 off walls. In a kitchen I tend to go 600 off the wall (Unless a tallboy, try to go 750) Ideally I like them at 120 apart

I usually go 1m in on lounge's and bedrooms but go for about 700mm in kitchens and spread them no more than a meter and no less than 800 really

I find kitchens tricky due to the number of wall units that can "appear" after the lighting is done. Stick a nice IP rated florry up. No flies get in, and a nice spread of light :)

I find kitchens tricky due to the number of wall units that can "appear" after the lighting is done. Stick a nice IP rated florry up. No flies get in, and a nice spread of light :)

Must admit that I'd not thought of IP rated fittings just to keep flies out. OK if the customer is into the industrial look!

My builder mate is planning to fit 20 in his kitchen / diner.

Last time I saw something like this was in a film with Johnny Mills in it, he was trying shoot down so Fockkers flown by the Luftwaffer over Blighty.

He was also sorting Sylvia Syms out at the time as well as saving us all from the cruel hun......and poor Caruthers took a packet over the channel ..............

And I bet his bank of 60 inch Carbons did not give off as much light as those

Reply to How many LED downlights for my kitchen? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock