Discuss How to locate unidentified circuits without switching off MCB in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jonboy1

I have been asked to carry out an electrical survey within a 24/7 broadcasting studio. The problem is that i am not allowed to turn anything off. I have a meter that sends a pulse down a cable to locate which cable it is but I cannot use it on live cables. Does anyone know of a product that can do this. Part number would be helpful.

How much money have you got?! Fluke do a cable locator which sends a dedicated freq along the conductor which works energised or not (so I'm told) (I want for Christmas)If it's sockets you're trying to trace I use a socket and see circuit finder which only works when the cable is live. On another tack , If you're not allowed to turn anything off, how do they envisage periodics, maintenance etc?. Just had a random thought. if theres a bunch of cables at one end and some sockets, luminaires at the other, using a clamp ammeter on the cables and increasing the load at the other end might help with identifying

type in sure test in google the product looks good but expensive, and unfortunately never used one

You did not say what sort of circuit, i.e. existing load etc.

I'm sure there is expensive kit that will do this, but I suggest you buy a reasonably sensitive clamp meter from RS or Maplin (your your favourite electrical wholesaler) Maplin sell one that would do the trick for about 25 quid.

Measure the current in the wire using the clamp meter.

Put a load on the circuit (i.e. add a 100W lightbulb or lamp), switch on and off the load and verify that the current shown on the clamp meter follows the pattern and magnitude of the load.

If you can't add a load, then there must be something you can turn on and off that draws more than a few tens of mA, e.g. a video monitor, that will achieve the same.

I have been asked to carry out an electrical survey within a 24/7 broadcasting studio. The problem is that i am not allowed to turn anything off. I have a meter that sends a pulse down a cable to locate which cable it is but I cannot use it on live cables. Does anyone know of a product that can do this. Part number would be helpful.

What about a fusefinder kit, I think Martindale do one.

Thanks for advice. I think i'm gonna have to re-mortgage to get the proper bit of kit. There is a heavy penalty clause if I switch off the studio. Lots of circuits in board powering lots of different bits of electronic s**t. Who wants to go on a spending spree at 4 in the morning anyway (its some sort of shopping channel)

Reply to How to locate unidentified circuits without switching off MCB in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock