Discuss How to wire motor plug in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Im really really surprised and very pleased with all the time and help you have all given me. I really appreciate all your replies.

This may be a stupid question, but if we assume the cable could be wired to an American 4 Pin plug, could it be wired the same way on a UK plug but ignoring the green (ground)??

@Megawatt @Spoon @westward10 @James the Spark1976 @Strima
Yes the 4th wire as y’all know is just an equipment ground the 3 prong is the same as my stove. It’s 220vac single phase and the neutral is mainly for the clock and timer. I’m trying to research it for gingsing

May also be worth it to try and find out what frequency this has been manufactured for. 50Hz, 60Hz or both?

Yes the 4th wire as y’all know is just an equipment ground the 3 prong is the same as my stove. It’s 220vac single phase and the neutral is mainly for the clock and timer. I’m trying to research it for gingsing

It also could be 220vac with no neutral the 3rd wire being the ground

My experience with 50hz really has no effect with the exception of clocks and timers

I was thinking more the affect on the motor.
It may not be an issue, just run faster or slower..

Hi everyone

I purchased a bench polisher which looks to have come from China. It says its 220v single phase and should work fine in the UK. The power cable has 4 wires in it so I'm confused how to wire a standard UK plug. I have attached a photo of the cable.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Jinsingh do you have a brand name and model number

Hi Megawatt

I only have the image and details from the advert. It was purchased via Aliexpress which is a Chinese wholesale website.

Where did you get the pic of the 4 wires? (Your original pic). That doesn't look like it's from an advert.

This may be a stupid question, but if we assume the cable could be wired to an American 4 Pin plug, could it be wired the same way on a UK plug but ignoring the green (ground)??

No, we don't use that type of power in the UK, it's specifically N. American. I think the references to US power configs here are misleading, there's no reason to think your machine is wired that way. The Chinese 3-phase colours are red/yellow/green which matches your cable (although I think neutral is more often blue now). I suspect one of two things:

a) they sent you a 3-phase machine instead of the single-phase one you ordered.

b) they converted it to single-phase but left the 3-phase mains cable attached.

Either way, they shouldn't sell equipment in the UK with that cable.

We need to see:
1) Motor rating plate
2) Inside motor terminal box
3) Where the cable terminates inside.

Hi everyone

I am really grateful for all your time and help. Please find attached photos of the motor, wiring, and back of the machine.

Hope it make sense to you guys.

Attachments

• How to wire motor plug 20190817_142904 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190817_142904.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 52
  • How to wire motor plug 20190817_143844 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190817_143844.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 57
  • How to wire motor plug 20190817_143655 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190817_143655.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 50
  • How to wire motor plug 20190817_143549 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190817_143549.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 46
  • How to wire motor plug 20190817_143526 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190817_143526.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 44
  • How to wire motor plug 20190817_143448 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190817_143448.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 40
  • How to wire motor plug 20190817_143343 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190817_143343.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 50

Reply to How to wire motor plug in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock