Discuss How to wire motor plug in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

OK, the motor is definitely single phase, but they have left the original 3-phase cable with chinese colours attached. You will need to inspect where the cable terminates, and possibly make some continuity measurements with a multimeter, to find out which colours they have used for line, neutral and earth as it's now impossible to assume anything. In fact it would make more sense to replace the cable to the input terminals as the existing one is totally unrecognised in the UK.

In truth, now would be a good time to call an expert to look at it. Or even call the supplier, although I am not sure whether you will get an intelligible answer that way! However, if you're up for more investigation, do you have a multimeter and are you familiar with using it to take resistance measurements?

Doesn't make much difference MW, we can see the line and neutral going into the motor, but we don't know for certain which cores of the input cable those line and neutral correspond to, as there's a switch and possibly a junction box in the middle. We can't trust that the colours going in are the same as the ones coming out to the motor as it has been altered.

Doesn't make much difference MW, we can see the line and neutral going into the motor, but we don't know for certain which cores of the input cable those line and neutral correspond to, as there's a switch and possibly a junction box in the middle. We can't trust that the colours going in are the same as the ones coming out to the motor as it has been altered.
Just trying to help since he came to us for help I understand what you are saying but it drives me crazy not being able to get his motor running. I’ve been on YouTube researching but you are right we can’t just assume anything

When you took the cover off the motor did it have a wiring diagram inside the cover
Hi

No wiring diagram anywhere at all I will second check to see if any numbers on wires. I will also open the base and see if I can check how the power wire joints the cable running to the motor

Hi

No wiring diagram anywhere at all I will second check to see if any numbers on wires. I will also open the base and see if I can check how the power wire joints the cable running to the motor

It looks from the picture that it is configured for single phase.
Presuming it’s 230v or there about, I would expect this to be a half hour job for anyone who is competent and has a good understanding of ac motors and there configuration for single phase use.
Where in Birmingham are you?
I might be passing you on Monday or Tuesday as I am working that area early week,

It looks from the picture that it is configured for single phase.
Presuming it’s 230v or there about, I would expect this to be a half hour job for anyone who is competent and has a good understanding of ac motors and there configuration for single phase use.
Where in Birmingham are you?
I might be passing you on Monday or Tuesday as I am working that area early week,

Hi

I am just north of Birmingham near West Bromwich

Hi Guys

I've managed to take photos of how the cable from the motor connects to the power cable.

It looks like the black wire is connected directly between both cables, green wire isnt used, Red and yellow wire is connected via switch.

Attachments

• How to wire motor plug 20190819_155926 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190819_155926.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
  • How to wire motor plug 20190819_160040 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190819_160040.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • How to wire motor plug 20190819_155532 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190819_155532.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • How to wire motor plug 20190819_155600 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190819_155600.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • How to wire motor plug 15662272925825516109549984550824 - EletriciansForums.net
    15662272925825516109549984550824.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Hi Guys

I've managed to take photos of how the cable from the motor connects to the power cable.

It looks like the black wire is connected directly between both cables, green wire isnt used, Red and yellow wire is connected via switch.

Photo from other side of switch

They are useful pics. You are going to need professional help with this because the unit appears not to be earthed unless the blacks are earth, where do the blacks go. The greens appear to have been at some time connected to the switch.

They are useful pics. You are going to need professional help with this because the unit appears not to be earthed unless the blacks are earth, where do the blacks go. The greens appear to have been at some time connected to the switch.
Looks like the black wire is connected between cables but isnt connected at the motor see image

Attachments

• How to wire motor plug 15662284511073530250553087688425 - EletriciansForums.net
    15662284511073530250553087688425.jpg
    938.5 KB · Views: 22

Reply to How to wire motor plug in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock